Craftsman steering

Camdigger

Tractorologist
I have a 20 hp Craftsman lawn tractor from the mid 90s that needs work on the steering sector and link. Any advice on how to get the steering sector/steering box out of these tractors?

Model # will help. I have 4 Craftsman and the steering set-up is different on three of them. Often the engine and steering tower has to be removed.

Here is the model and serial number. The steering segment/box is buried under the battery. I think if I remove the battery and battery platform, I'll be able to get at the steering gears? The link to the front axle is suffering from old age. The link section keeps popping off the ball on the forward end. Looks like the ball socket is formed around the ball?IMG_0477.jpgIMG_0476.jpg

Looks like the same setup my RED has. Much easier to get to with the engine removed.

There is no box. Just the pinion and segment.

I had a Craftsman lawn tractor I bought in 1997 with the same set up. That steering gear didn't last long. As I recall the new replacement part was different somehow and it did outlast the rest of the tractor (the tractor was shot after 20 years).

I'm sure I didn't pull the engine. I think you probably need to pull the wheel, battery, battery tray and cowling around the steering shaft to get it out.

If you plan to pull the brass sector gear, It is a bear to get the shaft lined back up and install the C clips. Engine only takes about an hour to remove.

Back