Cruisin' 8th Street

3 speed automatic Doug. I don’t mind a standard for a few hours. But not all the time. Drove trucks delivering propane years ago in the city and surrounding areas. Drive ya crazy after a while. Deliver at a house then move two houses, deliver again. On and on all day. So no daily driving a standard for me. A Sunday afternoon or a Friday evenin cruise, driving a standard would be sort of ok. But not much more than that. Learned how to drive in a 58 chev 1/2 ton, standard transmission. Best way to learn. I can get in any thing that’s a standard and drive it. You never forget. Like riding a bicycle.
Ya nice mustang. Have not drove it yet. He’s getting about 22 miles per Canadian gallon.
He’s also bought a 2010 mustang a few months ago. It’s a V6. Mileage not any better really than the V8.

Noel
That '58 Chevy probably had the same transmission that the '55 has. SM 420 4 speed with a granny 1st gear. It's really not a hard clutch, just being a geezer--- it can get tiring---lol! I credit that truck for helping me re-hab back in 2011 after losing 56 lbs due to cancer. Drove it constantly soon as I was able! No power nothing. I hope your son keeps the automatic in the Rambler too. A lot of times auto to standard is a whole lot bigger conversion than was ever expected. I've heard of people getting all the linkage, flywheel, clutch right, console and seats right, even getting a non shifter steering column and then forget something as simple as the pilot bearing in the crank shaft. A lot of work for no real gain.

I'm not a believer in V-6's any more either for now. The 2010 Dodge Journey my wife had for several years had a 3.3 V-6. It was puny and uncomfortable on the inside and only would get 16 in town and maybe 22 on the highway. Her 2006 GMC Yukon Denali gets at least the same if not better in most of the type of driving she does in a heavier truck with a 6.0 V-8.

DAC

The 58 was a 3 speed column shifter as far as I can remember Doug. I was only about 11/12 years old when I started driving it in the hay fields. Now the 61 chev 1/2 ton was the 4 speed. Had the granny low first gear.

Noel

Bought a 1959 ford to replace my rusted worn out 1958 ford. drove thr 59 about a year and the trans went out.
I visited a salvage yard and got a 3 speed manual from a older 56 Ford and all the release linkage, bought a pilot bearring. installed the trans. bought a floor shifter at the auto parts store and drove the car for nearly 3 years. had to slip the clutch a bit at first to start out but could do like 80 in second with out strain on the motor. in third the engine was hardly ticking over at 65 the then speed limit on local roads.
Was knocking down 29 MPG with that thing.

Al

I'm not a believer in V-6's any more either for now. The 2010 Dodge Journey my wife had for several years had a 3.3 V-6. It was puny and uncomfortable on the inside and only would get 16 in town and maybe 22 on the highway. Her 2006 GMC Yukon Denali gets at least the same if not better in most of the type of driving she does in a heavier truck with a 6.0 V-8.

DAC

That 3.5 wasn't a great engine....... The new 3.6 they use now is a machine. Nearly 300HP and get upwards of 25mpg on the highway.

That 3.5 wasn't a great engine....... The new 3.6 they use now is a machine. Nearly 300HP and get upwards of 25mpg on the highway.
You're right---3.5 in the Journey. The 3.3 is in the '97 Caravan out in the back yard. It was a bit better on mileage. It was still running great at 225,000 but lost a couple of gears in the tranny. I'm spoiled by that Denali even though it's getting old too. Very comfortable and we can haul people when needed.

DAC

You're right---3.5 in the Journey. The 3.3 is in the '97 Caravan out in the back yard. It was a bit better on mileage. It was still running great at 225,000 but lost a couple of gears in the tranny. I'm spoiled by that Denali even though it's getting old too. Very comfortable and we can haul people when needed.

DAC

The Denali are nice. We looked at an Acadia Denali for my wife last fall. We decided just to keep her caravan till it died as she is putting 180 miles on each day she works.

I like having a at least one stick around. The 97 F-150 is a 5 spd. and the 30 DeSoto is a three speed. I'm still relearning the non-synchronized DeSoto. When the tranny is cold double clutching is mandatory. After warming up short shifting without double clutching works nicely.
It was a sad day when you could no longer purchase a Pickup with a manual transmission.

I have never heard you can not get a pick up with out a stick trans.
But your not going to get one off a lot in stock. think you will have to use some thing like build my truck and order it and wait 8 to 12 weeks for delivery.

Al

Bad news from last Friday night's cruise I just found out. This '69 Nova (in the attachment above) of a former (retired) co-worker got rear-ended by a kid driving one of those weed eater sounding "tuner" cars. Fortunately he did have insurance. Sounds like the bumper is obviously junk, gas tank filler neck bent (behind the license plate) and one quarter panel crinkled. The tuner car got the worst of it augering under a ways. Then worse yet some 19 year old died on a "crotch-rocket" later in the night. He was traveling at a "high rate of speed" and t-boned a newer pickup, according to a news report. I bet the city will start trying to shut the cruise nights down again.

DAC

Back