Curbside pickup

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
On my way to work yesterday i saw 3 things in a guy's front yard with a big FREE sign across the front of them. I have been driving my 78 Plymouth fury 2 door Hardtop to work lately and sure couldn't have taken any of them in that. Even if it wouldn't have made me late for work to go swap vehicles.
There was a bike (least likely thing to leave I thought, I wasn't interested either) a push mower (gas powered, didn't catch the brand) and a Yard man LT. I figured both mowers would certainly be gone 9 hours later when I passed that point again from the other direction..... especially with a near 90 yo guy about 4 doors away that fixes mowers and always has a few for sale in HIS yard
I was only 1/2 right. And the one that I thought would be most likely to leave 1st was still there. Less than a mile away from home. So I went and got the Dakota and headed back. Talked to the giver and he said it needed a battery, the belt was about rotten and it hasn't left the shed in about 6 years so it was time to go.
Motor was free, didn't appear blown, and the tractor rolled, so on my dakota it went. Deck is shot, steering is sloppy but with a quart of oil, shot of gas, and the battery borrowed from my last freebie (the Dixon) it started right up in the bed of my truck. Nice running 17hp opposed twin Briggs.
I never knew that series of Briggs ever had a remote oil filter, none of the ones I'd had before ever did.
We were headed to John's where my storage barn is to mow anyways/ so I trucked it out there, unloaded it and proceeded to mow some pretty heavy grass with it for the next two hours. It has fresh plugs of grass coming out of various rust holes now but for free? It'll work out there just fine til the 1st thing breaks beyond usage, it's too rough to sink any $ into. And I have always hated the early 2000s MTD way of engaging the deck, with the deck height adjustment lever. My neighbor had a ranch king like that and I went to put it away in his shed one day (never touched that lever) and soon as I crossed the shed threshold the damn thing engaged and proceeded to catch the corner of his snow blower cab (made of wannabe canvas plastic) and shredded it.
Hood is munched on the yard man anyway, to which I added to, but I wonder if an opposed twin Briggs will fit in a Husqvarna in place of a trashed single cylinder Kohler courage?
If so I just found the replacement engine for that tractor, which coincidentally was my neighbors replacement for that ranch king mentioned above.....
Also have a Deere LT166 with a good 16HP Vanguard twin that runs, and I'm on the fence about what to do with the rest of that machine,cuz it too is rough/ wondering about the possibility of that vanguard fitting (maybe better) than the opposed twin in that Husqvarna without modification of the hood, so that I can see that one go down the road to somebody else. I don't like the Husqvarna but it is pretty clean and not terribly old. With before mentioned junk courage engine.

I was dumping some trash at work, appears someone had dumped a bunch of household trash in our dumpster..on top was a painting…the fact it had brass plate with artists name got my attention so dragged it home.
Yep original signed oil painting. Fritz Siebert. I googled artist, some of his paintings sold 400 pounds,,one currently on eBay for $1200..I’ll pedal this one eventually

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 10
Dodge Trucker, I think what you have in that free mower is an old L head horizontal twin Briggs engine. They are good solid engines. I rebuilt one last fall with +10, etc. Went in an IH 782 that had a blown Kohler. Took the mount out of a IH 555 I believe it was. Nothing more than a flat plate that bolted to the bottom of the frame rail and the replacement fit directly on the plate. Should go in your Huski. but may have to raide to match of the drive shave closer or ???. Some think the engine shaft and input for the hydro have to line up exactly. Not the case, if they are pretty close the flex coupler will take care of it. If still concerned put a U-Joint in.

Back