Drained the air tanks today!

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I have been needing to drain both tanks to get the water out. Took a bit to get the air pressure down, but got it done. The gas compressor was easiest, about a 30 gallon tank. The 60 gallon took a while to bleed down. But I made it through. The 60 gallon CH compressor is 10.5 CFM at 90 PSI, the gas one is 9.3 CFM at 90 PSI. With them both running, I have close to 20 CFM going. Not bad for my little shop.

I usually drain mine at least once a week, it helped to get the 80 gallon one out of the corner where it was buried and couldn't get to.
How do you have that valved with the 2 compressors? I wouldn't think you could just "T" them together and run them at the same time...
sounds like you need to sell them both and get 1, 2 stage unit.... 2 stage put out way more CFM than a single stage.
That said, I have the 5hp 80 gallon at home, produces ~18CFM at 175PSI, and a 5hp Briggs powered single stage that I keep where I store my stuff 30 miles away, but has been in the back of one of my trucks for the past week.... I would have been screwed w/o it at the tractor show last weekend, having to change the tube in a 13.6-28 tractor tire in the parking lot of the show grounds.....

Kenny, this thread has reminded me to drain my air tank. I'm gonna do it today, as I'm sure it has a lot of water in it by now.

I usually drain mine at least once a week, it helped to get the 80 gallon one out of the corner where it was buried and couldn't get to.
How do you have that valved with the 2 compressors? I wouldn't think you could just "T" them together and run them at the same time...
sounds like you need to sell them both and get 1, 2 stage unit.... 2 stage put out way more CFM than a single stage.
That said, I have the 5hp 80 gallon at home, produces ~18CFM at 175PSI, and a 5hp Briggs powered single stage that I keep where I store my stuff 30 miles away, but has been in the back of one of my trucks for the past week.... I would have been screwed w/o it at the tractor show last weekend, having to change the tube in a 13.6-28 tractor tire in the parking lot of the show grounds.....
I just have a tee that uses air off both at the same time!

Unless they have both exactly the same output I would think that would cause issues, they'd be fighting each other. Like HVAC units they would have to be synced and have a staggered start and stop.
Where I worked and we had 2 compressors one place we would alternate them every other day and on that compressors off day it would only come on when demand was high enough. These were 2 stage champion brand units. 5hp/80 gallon 220v. When I bought my 2 stage it has been one of the best things that I have ever bought. Well that and my millermatic 185 MIG and my 2 post car lift. All get used together often.
I'd like to build an outhouse sized she'd behind the garage to house it in.
My cousin has a 120 gallon air tank in his garage collecting dust that I have been offered, would love to get it and plumb it in line with what I have already except for the space it would take. That is a horizontal tank, my current one is vertical.

Drained my tank last week. I don't have the large tank I used to have. This compressor is 35 gal tank and portable so I just move it to the back door of the shop and open the valve I installed shortly after I bought it.

Back