Farm Work

grnspot110

Tractorologist
Took the Gator to the farm this morning to spray the sprouts in the CRP contour lines: Farm 2018 046.JPG

15 gallon spot sprayer with 35 gallon water supply tank: Farm 2018 047.JPG

Fields are 2nd year Orchard Grass, Bluegrass, Timothy & Ladino clover mix: Farm 2018 048.JPG

Boy, that's pretty country

What do you mean by spray the sprouts?

Small trees & bushes growing up in the contour lines!

My folks bought the farm in 1965, Dad had the fields laid out with terrace contour lines, but instead of having terraces built, we plowed toward the lines each year, eventually making terraces. These all have Brome grass growing on them now & hold the soil in place very well. Sprouts , especially Honey Locust tend to start in the unworked ground & need to be killed out to keep them from taking over!

Let a rabbit loose. He'll be chasing dalmatian while you abscond.

Got some brush moved & quite a bit of mowing done this morning. Started clearing some timber pasture of bushes & sprouts before they got too big. Haven't been in this patch in years so I'm running the 790 in low gear with the bucket next to the ground, that way, if I hit a stump with the bucket, the tractor just spins! More to do, maybe later in the week.

I was trying to cut a small Honey Locust with the Piranha toothbar when the left curl cylinder quit, thought I'd blown a seal. When I got home to unload I noticed one quick coupler was unhooked. WHEW!!!

Trip to the farm this morning to cut some more brush with the JD 790 & 5' Frontier cutter: Farm 2016 054.JPG

I hadn't been through this area before & there are some old downed trees, so it's slow going with the loader bucket down to catch any obstructions.

Before: Farm 2018 049.JPG

After: Farm 2018 051.JPG

Farm 2018 050.JPG

Lots of Buckbrush, some wild roses & small sprouts!

Back