Farmall Cub Idle high

bbuckler

Tractorologist
My cub been sitting almost a year cause it needed a clutch and I got too busy now it needs a carb rebuild cause it flooding I guess the needle is sticking. Anyways it will run more normal without the air cleaner cap on but it idles super high. Think it a mixture of it getting too much fuel and without the cap adding more air to the mixture causing it to idle high ??? I'm rebuilding the carb after the show plus new points

More likely a vacuum leak between the carb and the head. Try spraying ether on the areas I mentioned. If the idle slows down you've found the leak.

Beware the carb kit. I believe it's the Tractor Supply kit that has an incorrect float height (something like the number for an H, not the cub). My float level was way off with whatever came in the tractor.

Even setting the float to the correct height didn't give mine the proper fuel level. I ended up actually measuring the fuel level and adjusting to that.

I had other issues that eventually resolved my problem. In the end I'm not sure it was that sensitive to the float height.

The governor or its linkage could also be giving you trouble with the low idle speed. If I was certain the carb was right and I still couldn't get it to idle down I'd try disconnecting the governor so it was out of the equation. If you can get it idled down that way work back through setting up the governor linkage.

I ordered a amazon kit while waiting for my one from Steiners to come in. That was a mistake it pouring gas out now so I guess I just will have to wait for the right kit to come in

Back