Fiber Mesh Stripping Disc Wheels

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
Had a couple of guys on a tractor group recommend these especially for removing paint vs a flap disc. They claim they don’t load up as fast and leave a much better surface for priming. I’ll do a follow up once I use them.CAED8A5B-E0AF-40FB-94F2-3556981D458B.jpeg

Used a ton of the mandrel mount style when I was in the autobody trade. Work really good for removing paint and cleaning metal. I've bought and used 1 disc like you have and they work well but haven't used it enough to see how well they hold up. The disc type is also much firmer/stiffer than the mandrel mount ones. Watch out for sharp edges as you can eat thru a disc in short order.

Had a couple of guys on a tractor group recommend these especially for removing paint vs a flap disc. They claim they don’t load up as fast and leave a much better surface for priming. I’ll do a follow up once I use them.View attachment 66247le

Let the tool do the work, if you apply pressure the disc wears down fast. I use them and they work excellent removing paint. First time i used one 10 years ago my neighbour had given it to me and i polished my anvil to a near mirror finish.

My main reason for these is removing paint. I’m partial to sand blasting things that have a lot of rust. These were from Amazon with a close to 5 star rating and the one that was recommended to me.

A funny but could have been bad was last year I thought I would try a wire brush from HF on my right angle grinder. It worked good for a few minutes but I started getting a stinging feeling in my belly with just a tee shirt on. My first thought was it’s just the rust flying off. I stopped and took my safety glasses off and my belly looked like a porcupine. I had to throw my shirt away it looked like thousands of little wire arrows.

I just saw those disks at Princess Auto this morning. Didn’t buy any. But neat to know they are available here.
Once worn out , is the disk that the stuff is glued to any good for grinding or something.? It looks like a cutting disk. Just wondering.

Noel

I just saw those disks at Princess Auto this morning. Didn’t buy any. But neat to know they are available here.
Once worn out , is the disk that the stuff is glued to any good for grinding or something.? It looks like a cutting disk. Just wondering.

Noel
It'll probably cut skin real well! Not sure about bone!

I use these for cleaning copper bus bars and cable terminals.

They remove the corrosion and polish them to a nice shine without removing the much if any metal. I call them scotch bright wheels even though I know they aren’t scotch bright…

I used to hand polish them with scotch bright pads until I discovered these. They are fantastic. A nice clean connection is a happy connection.

We have red ones. Not sure if that is an abrasive indication or just whatever color they come in.

Wire wheels are something you don’t cheap out on. Not sure what brand we have but they last a long time. I use them till they are down to nubs. Still throw wires but not as bad. I always pick a few out of shirt. One guy in the shop calls them a cheek poker.

I’m sold on these. I spent about 15 minutes knocking the paint and a little of rust off this pivot bar. I only concentrated on removing the paint. Large flat areas would be best for these. I could see getting in corners would wear the edge down unlike a wire brush. Now I wished I had bought the ten package.

Attachments

• 4534BAAD-1E59-46E7-88B1-40FBE3B60584.jpeg
    4534BAAD-1E59-46E7-88B1-40FBE3B60584.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 7
  • F2FCA888-9DB6-4D5D-B401-E6F8402FA7B7.jpeg
    F2FCA888-9DB6-4D5D-B401-E6F8402FA7B7.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 7A99EAF8-4E94-4BE1-9BC9-B427E7B298C4.jpeg
    7A99EAF8-4E94-4BE1-9BC9-B427E7B298C4.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 7
Well I finally used
I use these for cleaning copper bus bars and cable terminals.

They remove the corrosion and polish them to a nice shine without removing the much if any metal. I call them scotch bright wheels even though I know they aren’t scotch bright…

I used to hand polish them with scotch bright pads until I discovered these. They are fantastic. A nice clean connection is a happy connection.

We have red ones. Not sure if that is an abrasive indication or just whatever color they come in.

Wire wheels are something you don’t cheap out on. Not sure what brand we have but they last a long time. I use them till they are down to nubs. Still throw wires but not as bad. I always pick a few out of shirt. One guy in the shop calls them a cheek poker.
without going to any trouble I would like to know what brand wire wheel you use. I just used up my last one that my dad gave me, he’s now gone. They used them at his work and they lasted forever.

I finally used up the first abrasive wheel. To Noel’s question it’s useless once used up. It’s some kind of plastic fiber pad. I put a new one to clean up some old wooden fence rails for a planter my daughter wants. Knocking off the old paint and weather residue was no match for these. I spent about a half hour and couldn’t notice any wear at all on it. I was concerned about build up but they kind of clean themselves. I did blow it off good when I was done.

Attachments

• 429C0E3A-C119-49B4-8EA2-45CF42B991F2.jpeg
    429C0E3A-C119-49B4-8EA2-45CF42B991F2.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 45019D55-088D-4407-9827-AFA9437EE3C1.jpeg
    45019D55-088D-4407-9827-AFA9437EE3C1.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 6
Back