FIMCO 20 gallon tow behind sprayer

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
just got one yesterday after searching CL and going on a couple of fruitless wild goose chases from ads there in opposite directions from home. (you guys don't wanna hear about those "adventures" --- very aggravating) and seeing a few others either too far away for what they are, or idiots wanting more than what I paid for a brand new one for a used one just like it..... the 20 gallon was on sale a good bit cheaper than the 15 gallon model I was wanting.
finally gonna get that crabgrass spray down so that in a couple weeks I can run the Power rake and not spread it any farther than it already is, then overseed during what most "experts" say is best season to do so... though my seed stock is kinda old/been in the garage a while... just gonna have to lay it on thick to both be rid of it and make sure I get enough good seed out to do me some good....

anyone here have one? What kind of "gotcha's" can you guys enlighten me with? And no, I didn't buy this "just for this one job".... be good for poison ivy control at my parent's cottage////

I've had a North-Star 25 gallon for years and wouldn't be without it. This one looks very similar to the photo above. I did two modifications to it as this is a larger acreage and some of the ground is rough. Converted it to ATV wheels and tires and removed the booms and went to one high mounted larger spray nozzle. Probably have had it for 25 years and am still running the original pump. The best advice I can give you is make darn sure that everything has been drained before the temps drop below freezing. That includes removing all the water from the hand spray gun.
Your nozzles probably have filter screens in them. That's the first place you want to check if a nozzle isn't spraying right. Those screens need to be clean.
Also I wear a pair of chemical proof rubber gloves when mixing the spray. Most farm supply stores carry them and they last forever. Should be able to buy them for under $20.00
48GJ86_AS02

Last edited:
well I got to play with the new toy today.... sprayed the quinchlorac that has been sittin here a month now, plus some Weed-b-gon for good measure (which is mostly 2,4-D and this particular batch is at least 25 years old, trying to use it up, found it sitting in parents' garage-- how long has it been since you could buy ORTHO stuff in a metal, gallon can? The price sticker is from a now defunct store, even) plus some bug-b-gon (another ortho product I forgot that I had sitting on MY shelf, hopefully it'll deal with all the ant hills in my side yard) and some MSO (methylated seed oil) for good measure- this last is a "surfactant" (helps the rest stick to the plant foliage instead of just running off into the ground) 10 hours later I can still smell the 2,4-D when I go outside....
I have sprayed my yard many times over the years, by different methods (Hudson pump up can, hose end sprayer,) but the Quin says not to apply that way, for some reason?
Figures, after 2 failed wild goose chases on separate days after work this past week, each 50 miles from home in opposite directions, I broke down and decided to buy a new unit, (finding one on sale plus having a couple of gift cards to help pay for it) today, I took a couple hours away from the bathroom remodel to go 50 miles the other way from home, to a yearly threshermens show, and there it is... a good sprayer unit for what I was wanting to spend in the 1st place..... no, I don't now own 2 of them, like has happened with so many things over the years.....
"had to" go to the show this year, since I missed last year on account of it being called off at the last moment it could have been, on account of soggy fields/ last year at this time was quite rainy, quite opposite of this year...… and when I dropped the wife off at work, she even said for me to go to the show and hold off on the bathroom tearout since I discovered and fixed the root of our issue yesterday... good thing it was only our "1/2 bath".... and not the main full bathroom..... nother story.

but... I have discovered 1 thing, and I find the same rule of thumb works when painting, where a given quantity of paint NEVER goes as far as the label states... whether I go by label directions, or whether I "Tim Taylor" a job and "wing it" knowing I am spraying overkill amounts (or applying fertilizer via drop spreader, where I am most likely to put on how much "I think" a job needs rather than setting the spreader as the bag states)
I know my square footage of my green space.... at least what I would have, if it was a bare lot without a house, a shed, a 30x36 garage and 2 driveways taking away from the green..... I guessed at the amount of space taken up by said buildings, and concrete/gravel, and I thought I guessed "low," meaning that I allowed for more space still green than I really have..... then, added a bit of mixed water/pesticide for "fudge factor" purposes, thinking that I would "for sure" have leftover material, but no.... still ran out of solution before I ran out of grass to apply it to....
I figured 8 gallons of solution would be about right, so I mixed 10 gallons in the sprayer.... ran out, guessed at about another 6 gallons of solution measured out and mixed exactly by label directions.... and had "just" enough.
Every time I spray or spread fertilizer/ pesticide, or paint, I wind up having to use 1-1/2 to 2x the amount of material as is claimed for the area that I have to deal with.... when I am dealing with grass seed, it winds up being about double again, what is called for. (so 3 to 4 times what is called for) No matter how hard I try to do that job "by the book".
I did read somewhere, as I was getting ready to mix the 1st batch of solution for the yard that the amount of water used to carry the rest, isn't as important as the amount of product applied with that water to a given amount oft ground... I would think that if I would have used my original amount of chemical, and just watered it down further to be able to get their recommended amount of product to the square footage I have to cover that "watered down" would not be as effective...….
and yes I did spray "just water" as directed by the sprayer instructions over concrete, to judge speed and coverage before I added the chemical to the tank....

now to see if this works, without the whole yard keeling over dead, here at the house.... not like it would be the 1st time this year, the lack of rain until these last 10 days or so, had previously taken care of that, mostly.... except for the weeds.
then I get to take it out to my parents' cottage by the river, where I can use up some more of that old Weed b gon along with some highly concentrated Roundup that a buddy of mine was able to get me from his work at a co-op nearby... I'd rather spray poison ivy than to attack it with a weed eater..... unlike my brothers it doesn't seem to bother me but there was a time when they too, could walk barefoot and in cutoff shorts thru it and not be effected.... now all you gotta do to either is to mention "poison ivy" and they are one itchy rash from head to toe.... I can still walk thru it barefoot and in shorts (or I could last time I tried) but I don't want to take that chance.... I mowed out there last weekend and so far, I didn't break out. lotsa exposed tree roots out there that only kill mowers.... I just don't like the process of cleaning and flushing the tank and lines, for the next time I don't want a total kill...… I remember that from my days at the co op when they did the switchout from corn solution mix, to soybean mix....

Last edited:
one thing to add.... the particular tractor I used to transport this unit today, doesn't like being run at part throttle with another load on the charging system.... while I was looking for my "garage" measuring cup, I put the unit on "bypass" to agitate and mix what I had added so far, went to restart tractor and discovered I had to jump it.... after running 16 gallons of solution thru it and twice running 5 gallons of added "water only" to flush and dilute what residue was left within the tank out, the tractor died and I had to jump it again.... let it run a minute or 2 at full throttle before putting it away, this tractor with this battery has always started easily since I initially got it going when I got it.... I was running just under 1/2 throttle during this whole job.... and hydro lever also just below 1/2..... to get the speed I thought I needed, to spray this stuff at the rate the labels wanted....
mid to late K341 Kohler, in an Ariens S16H (original engine to the machine)

Like you My Son and I have found it takes more product than the label states in order to get the job done the first time. We used to mix one quart of 2-4-D to 25 gallons of water and spray at around 3 to 4 mph with mixed results. Some weeds would wilt and then recover. Went to 2 quarts to per tank and now we don't have to respray in a couple of weeks.

I didn't put that much 2,4 D into my mix this time, went by label directions on a "per gallon" basis but it took 2x the number of gallons of total solution to cover my ground than I expected it to..... this go round I looked at the label and (let me go look) it says... (remember its an old metal gallon can, their recommendations may have changed since back in that day) 200 sq ft... 1 gallon... 4 teaspoonfuls..... 1200 sq ft..... 6 gallons... 4 oz....
I put 8 oz in 10 gallons the 1st time, and 4 oz in 6 gallons the 2nd time.... I estimated that I probably had 8000 sq ft of green space to cover....
the quin. label says in one place, 1.45 oz per gallon.... on the next page it says 3 gallons/ 9 tablespoons... which I believe is equal to 3 ounces.... and recommended MSO was about 1/2 that of the amount of quin.,,,
so I followed the 1 oz per gallon idea.... being that I was mixing more than one pesticide that both kill some of the same weeds I didn't want to go overkill on either one.... I figured I should use about 1 gallon of solution per 1000 sq ft, wound up taking double that to cover everything.

I have discovered after searching high and low last year, to come up with some Banvel/ by suggestion of a farmer I know, that Gordon's makes a product that anyone can get at the local farm store that has some in it.... Trimec….. and today we were in both a Lowe's and a Home Depot that had a Weed b gon liquid on the shelf, that claimed to handle crabgrass.... looked at it in teh store and it had quinchlorac in it and I think a little Dicamba ("Banvel") but had more 2,4-d in it than either of the other 2.... IDK what concentrations of each were included, right now I am trying to "use up" some of my old stuff, then I will probably get the pre mixed stuff in the future, though the concentrations of each, in a pre mix like that do seem a little light as compared to what the labels suggest when buying them individually and making one's own mix.... and definitely light duty compared to "co-op duty" professionally available versions...
I know that last night when I went to bed and again today (at least til it rained) even at recommended concentrations, I could still smell the 2,4-d when I would go outside..... when I would spray "just" 2,4-d, I'd always mix it heavy and could smell it in the air for a couple of days afterwards..... strange to find that even when following directions.... maybe because of my mix?? the other ingredients made this one stand out more than when using it alone for some reason....

I seem to have "just" made the 24 hour application before rainfall that they wanted... whew. They did want the grass to sit a full 2 days after mowing before applying, and not to mow for 2 days after, I wound up applying only 1 day after the most recent mow, letting 2 days go by after wont be a problem this time of year.... I hope it does some good, I know I should have sprayed this Quin at least a month maybe 2, before I did, when what I want to kill, 1st showed up.... but then I just started asking questions about what to use...…. hopefully it still does what I want it to....

DT this has been an educational thread. I've been looking at these sprayers like you used but most have been neglected or priced way too high. I have close to an acre that's fenced with the house. We now have chickens. Before this I've been using the typical pump up carry along sprayer. My biggest concern is about two acres I try to maintain outside of the yard area I like to look at with mixed cedars. I use a pull behind 60" Swisher about once a month to keep this cut. I try to spot spray certain areas but I can't keep up with it. It's like the weeds are laughing at me. Sometimes I think we all get tired of buying used & working on it vs hooking up to something new & go with it. When I weed eat I have to wear full body armor. Lol

I once went to a 2 hr crash course on lawn care put on by the local county ag rep, what I came out with the most is to not use the same chemical year round. This was about 6 years ago and he used trimec in the spring and 2-4-D in the fall for his lawn treatment weed control. There has been a lot change since then, but I figure that was a good rule of thumb. I ordered some of the Drive XLR8 to try in the near future for crabgrass, which is a constant problem for me. I never could seem to time it right in the spring for good crabgrass control by the chemicals I had been using. The only thing I use my pull behind sprayer for is weed control, and no matter how well I rinse/flush the tank and hoses, it always smells like chemicals. My unit is on its original engine and have replaced the pump twice, the tires once, and replaced numerous nozzles and just a few screens. Good luck with your unit.

Drive xlr8 is the"new version" of what I just got and sprayed on my yard. In about 10 days since spraying that mixed with 2,4-d about half of the crabgrass is yellow.
They say it's an annual not a perrenial weed but it's gotten more abundant every year. I always say that I am going to spray 1 or even 2 more times than I did the year before but can never seem to get it done. I got 2 applications of 2,4-d done this year better than last year.
I need to find out what Scott's Halts is and get some down next spring before the crabgrass starts to show. This stuff I got is post emergent. I need pre emergent for mid to late spring before the crap shows up.
I don't mind working on stuff but when I find a frozen pump or cracked tank, each of those costs more by themselves than a whole unit costs that has both included.
And CL idiots that want more for junk than I bought the new one for, that's where I draw the line. I should probably draw it a little lower than I usually do, been stung before.

That Drive XLR8 works great for crabgrass. Only thing is, the adult crabgrass probably seeded itself down waiting for next year so get ready mid-spring to hit it again to make sure the cycle is broken.

Then, rough up the area a bit to expose soil and re-seed this year and next with good grass seed and you should be golden.

This stuff works for some of the same stuff as 2,4-d as well, I guess.... it kills some things 2,4-d don't and vise versa.
but everything I read says that this stuff (quinchlorac) isn't a preventative (pre emergent) killer at least where crabgrass is concerned.

Next is to hit it with the power rake this weekend, and then hit it with the new grass seed that I have been tripping over. been long enough since the last rain, they are calling for rain next Tuesday so it'll be a good break from bathroom demolition to get outside and do that.

Used to be a product call Prowl. use it commercially12 -15 years ago. Got some and put it on my lawn. It was a type of ground sterilizer that prevented the seed from germination. Worked great for the annual weed control but don't know if it is even around any more.

Back