For those with a loader...

Greasy6020

Tractorologist
I’m looking into either building a loader, or buying a GT with a loader on it already for farm use, I’d like to ditch the wheel barrow and caca fork...

Currently, best options for loader tractors are roper rt16, or Massey 14 given the heavier construction, and reliable starting of both tractors.

Neighbour is a machinist by trade I recall, and he “owes me a favour” he said, for a ride home after he put his truck in the ditch plowing snow, could get loader built by him...

Has anyone ever made a grapple for a garden tractor? Given that dads skidsteer has a grapple, and he’s said it’s slicker than snot on a door knob, a grapple on a GT sounds handy , given that it will fit in any place at the farm.

Bale spear also sounds handy, considering that cows gotta be fed. Can only imagine that I could skewer a section of big square bale and carry on to feed cows, or move “idiot blocks” as dad calls em with ease. “Idiot blocks” are just a lazy mans name for small square bales:p

Thanks for your help in decisions...

I’ve had a MF 1855 with a Workhorse loader, a Simplicity 4041 with high lift loader, it was called a GT but was really more of a SCUT. Also had a Case IH 234 with loader, any of those were heavy enough to do most jobs and small enough to fit where I needed them to.

I use a 15 Hp Beaver Diesel. Not sure if is a small cut or large garden tractor.
I would really hate to give up the 4 wheel drive, the down fall of the Diesel is cold weather starting, The Beaver is similar as the Iseki/Mitsubishi that Bolens used.
I use it to push snow in the winter and blade the gravel driveway in the summer, Also used it when we put a new roof on the house to hoist the shingles up on the roof.

If you are going to use the MF14 have your friend make an adapter to be able to use your right foot for the hydro. It is very busy trying to run the loader and the tractor and steer all at the same time. I am planning on doing it to my 14 that has a loader.

I have an old Gilson with a loader. Hydrostatic trans is definitely preferred. I have a geared GT and its cumbersome and slow to move around with it. I just picked up an old parts JD with hyd Trans and foot controls that I plan to adapt to the Gilson. Also going to add Power Steering. Its a small loader with 500 lb capacity, and with anything north of 300 in the bucket, steering is a chore. You will also need a plan for weight in the back. Just some thoughts.

I have an old Gilson with a loader. Hydrostatic trans is definitely preferred. I have a geared GT and its cumbersome and slow to move around with it. I just picked up an old parts JD with hyd Trans and foot controls that I plan to adapt to the Gilson. Also going to add Power Steering. Its a small loader with 500 lb capacity, and with anything north of 300 in the bucket, steering is a chore. You will also need a plan for weight in the back. Just some thoughts.
Like he said. Sears 18/6 with sears self leveling loader. The hydrostatic with foot control would be much better. Don

Gonna see if neighbours at home, I’ll talk to him about it if he is...

Likely going to use roper, much prefer gear over hydro. Just gotta add hydraulic power of some sort.

I’ll keep everyone posted

Looking on Craig's List this afternoon I found something interesting. It was a John Deere GT with a loader on it. what caught my attention was the way the FEL was mounted to the tractor. It mounted to the front of the tractor & lifted the bucket high enough to dump into most carts. The is a Little Buck Loader it looks like they are only made for John Deere from an after market company. Has anyone else seen these.

Charlie

Yes I have seen them. Lots of you tube videos on them. Another one is the Buford loader for JD garden tractors. Don't know if they made the loaders to fit other brands of GT's.

Noel

I put a Johnson loader on my Massey 1655. It already had foot control hydro and is a large machine. Larger than any of the ones listed. I would suggest finding a "super" sized machine. Nothing against the smaller tractors but for loader work, bigger is better. It was a ton if work adding an already built loader to the tractor let alone building the loader itself. I love mine and am constantly improving it. Power steering, bucket "thumb", extra hydraulics to name a few.

Your asking a lot from your friend for a ride home in my opinion. Having adapted several loaders to tractors I can tell you just adapting one involves quite a bit of work. Building one is a major project. Your far better of finding a used one.
As far as the grapple goes they add a lot of weight to the front of the tractor. Hate to sound like a broken record but the front spindles and axle were very likely never intended to carry the loads your planning to put on them. If you think about it if you load the loader until the rear of the tractor gets light you now have almost the total weight of the tractor, loader, and your load on the front axle. Trust me you'll find yourself in this position far too often. Larger tractors can handle those loads GT's not so much so. I have my relief valves set for around 400 lbs lift. Even that is a large load for a small tractor.
Good luck with your project.

Ive had a couple GT loaders and honestly they are not big enough for much 'Farm' service, they are only designed to lift 300/400 lbs at most and even at that require a fair amount of rear ballast. They can be handy for small jobs but on a farm something like an old Ford N, Ferguson or IH Lowboy are a much better size...IMO

Ive had a couple GT loaders and honestly they are not big enough for much 'Farm' service, they are only designed to lift 300/400 lbs at most and even at that require a fair amount of rear ballast. They can be handy for small jobs but on a farm something like an old Ford N, Ferguson or IH Lowboy are a much better size...IMO
I have both. Sears 18/6 with loader and 8N with loader. For my purposes the sears gets used much more. Easier for this old fart to get on and off. Don

Crazy thing about those GT loaders is the price... last little one I had was a Ford LGT165 with Johnson loader....I sold it for over 2K but I can buy a Ford N around here for less than that... and only paid $1300 for a Cockshutt 40 a couple years ago. If your on a farm... or a budget... get a bigger tractor.

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0978.JPG
    IMG_0978.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 6
Back