Ford daily driver.

Ya,,like my”bullet proof” Toyota until a $3.00 timing chain guide fails….the timing chain guide in numerous pieces…new kit installed but some assembly required yet….all brands are great until they fail,,,

Attachments

• 5C297B88-74DE-4117-BF07-05FDB62981E6.jpeg
    5C297B88-74DE-4117-BF07-05FDB62981E6.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 6
  • E0DF6854-9014-4279-90F3-462EA400B65E.jpeg
    E0DF6854-9014-4279-90F3-462EA400B65E.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 6
Ya,,like my”bullet proof” Toyota until a $3.00 timing chain guide fails….the timing chain guide in numerous pieces…new kit installed but some assembly required yet….all brands are great until they fail,,,
Looks like a 22RE in your picture.

What failed first the guide? The tensioner? Or the stretched chain that the tensioner couldn’t tension anymore and let it ride against the plastic guide?

If you made it anywhere north of a 100k without doing a preventative change you did pretty good!

All brands eventually give you problems. My ford rangers have been amazing. One went 298k before spinning a rod bearing. Dodge Ram was probably my least reliable. I’ve never owned a full-size Chevy truck. My Tacoma was fantastic as well for almost 200k when I sold it.

The least reliable brand was the Kia my wife had when we got married. I wouldn’t take a brand new Kia if you gave it to me.

The truck this thread is about I’d roll around in no problem! I really want an older vehicle. Watching Vice grip garage really has me wanting to find something cool to cruise in.

They all break down sometime, some go longer than others. After working in my BIL's shop for a bit and working on my own and other people's vehicles, it seems, In My Opinion, GM are the easiest to work on, Fords are the worst. The last Ford we owned was my son's 94 Bronco, by far the worst, most un-dependable vehicle I've ever owned. I will never purposely buy another one.
I currently drive a VW bug, '02 Durango and soon to be an '01 Dodge 2500 and maybe the Trailblazer I just got a trans in for a while before it gets sold.

I am not brand loyal. Last time I checked all new car dealers have a service dept. to help owners keep their cars running.
Just hope when I buy something it will be trouble free. Unfortunately that isn't always the case.

Looks like a 22RE in your picture.

What failed first the guide? The tensioner? Or the stretched chain that the tensioner couldn’t tension anymore and let it ride against the plastic guide?

If you made it anywhere north of a 100k without doing a preventative change you did pretty good!

All brands eventually give you problems. My ford rangers have been amazing. One went 298k before spinning a rod bearing. Dodge Ram was probably my least reliable. I’ve never owned a full-size Chevy truck. My Tacoma was fantastic as well for almost 200k when I sold it.

The least reliable brand was the Kia my wife had when we got married. I wouldn’t take a brand new Kia if you gave it to me.

The truck this thread is about I’d roll around in no problem! I really want an older vehicle. Watching Vice grip garage really has me wanting to find something cool to cruise in.
not sure but after installing the new timing chain set the engine made a heck of a racket so obviously the valves made contact with pistons…IE INTERFERENCE ENGINE…so im swinging my spare engine in…Id bought a mechanically perfect running 92 toyota 4x4 few years back but body and frame shot so i immediately disassembled it and put in storage,,

Never had much luck with Dodge. Last on was a gas that would pass everything but the gas stop. 5-6 pulling a 32' camper one time. Back to a Chevy and got 10 pulling the same camper, 16.5 -17 bare truck. 138000 miles, don't use oil, dealers are insulting on what they offer for it on trade so will just keep driving it.

We have one waiting to go in our '01 Dodge 2500 w/120K. We were going go rebuild, but can't find a mechanic to even look at it and those who may, are charging a second mortgage.
Son got a used one from junkyard for under 200.
years ago I wanted gears changed in a car and shops prices were up to $800 for labour. Some admitted they were not comfortable/qualified to do the job. I was directed to franchise shop "Mr Transmission" who changed the gears for $200.

My BIL dives a ‘07 Tundra he’s owned 10 years. Over 300k miles and only brakes and tires changed. All suspension etc is original
I watched a video on a guy who owned a 1 million mile '07 Tundra, all original drivetrain. He was some type of service guy on the road all the time. He said the trans probably would have kept going, but he had it service at 950k and it went out shortly after.

Back