Front Electric PTO Clutch

chieffan

Tractorologist
Can someone explain to this old thick headed geiser how this clutch can/does work when there are no moving parts other than the crank shaft and pulley?

Thanks for the reply - I watched that video but that is a completely different set up than what I have. That looks more for the vertical shaft lawn tractors. Mine is on a Kohler KT17S. The coil is fixed to the mount that is bolted to the front of the engine with 4 bolts. Another piece slides on and cups the coil. Then the pulley piece and last is the brake plate. When the bolt and washer is tightened down, the pulley no longer is free to turn on the bearing and everything is locked together. Nothing left to move.

Is this on the CC782? Wonder who made it? Got a pic?

I looked up the parts for the 782 clutch here:

Here's the screenshot:
Screenshot from 2020-09-02 07-20-55.jpg

Part #2 must be the part that is supposed to move on the crank shaft. The coil must push #2 away from the coil and drivers the plate on the pulley unit ? ? ? Clear as mud.

May be possible you have a spacer missing that goes between crank shoulder and part #2 causing #2 to bottom onto #1. I have a box of Cadet clutch parts. I'll take a look when I go out. Part #2 should spin free anytime the electromagnet isn't energized. Been a few years since working on anything with that type clutch.

I looked up the parts for the 782 clutch here:

Here's the screenshot:
View attachment 28919
Part #2 must be the part that is supposed to move on the crank shaft. The coil must push #2 away from the coil and drivers the plate on the pulley unit ? ? ? Clear as mud.
Going by the diagram #2 spins on the crank with a key which is #6. When it is energized it pulls the flexible disc part of #3 onto itself making the pulley turn. When the clutch is off the disc part of #3 is riding against the back side of #4 and the drag from that keeps the pulley from turning. When I get back to work today I'll see about getting some pictures of one to better show what I mean by the flexible disc

Would the bushing in part # 3 be seized to the crank. ? I believe diesel nut has the correct sequence of operation. At least it sounds good to me.

Noel

Now that makes some sense to me. Didn't realize the disc would flex that much but guess it does.

Noel, I have both bushings out of the pulleys and they are two different sizes, length wise of the larger part. Going to use the shorter one of the two and see how that works out.

Back