Frozen bolt help

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

Been taking my SS 12 apart for restoration, and hit a snag. I've been spraying old bolts for a few weeks with PB blaster, and when I got to the transaxle bolts, I snapped the first one off...great. Any recommendations/tips for removing the rest of them? Thinking about firing up the torches, but didn't know if someone has found a better way.

Thanks,
bobcat2

I use Kenny's 4gettogo's method and when you see it start to turn get right after it so it don't seize again. Sometime a good smack on the head with a hammer helps. Only thing I have found the 50/50 concoction good for is making a mess. Sorry guys but have had 0 luck using it. PB is the one I have used for years.

Last edited:
I would buy a aerosol can of kroil off of ebay. It's fairly pricy but it blows pb blaster right out of the water. It's by far the best penetrant on the market.

The 50/50 mix has always worked good for me. But I bought one of those aerosol cans that you put the liquid in, then charge with a compressor. That way I can spray it. Always works well for me.

Also agree that a good healthy smack with a hammer can help shock the rust or dirt that is binding the threads. Depends on the bolt and location however.

How much are you putting on? You can make a mess with anything.
The science of 50/50 is; the auto trans lube is a superior lubricant and the acetone causes it to really soak in.
Not any more than I have to, wet the area just like with PB. I have 1/2 a 1/2 gal milk jug of that stuff you can have or it goes with the waste oil. Probably better than WD-40 though.

HF had them,or try your local farm & home store. Some auto parts stores may have them. Got mine at HF few years back.

Where do you find one of those aerosol can thingys?

Amazon has a bunch of different types. Plus as roger said, i've seen them other places.

Amazon.com: FIRSTINFO Aluminum Can Pneumatic/Manual Refillable Fluid/Oil Pressure Storage Sprayer + Jet Dual Purpose Nozzle Kit (With 4 different type nozzles): Automotive

Mine is real similar to this one. It doesn't have a long spray time. But for squirting bolts and stuff it works great. It's not going to spray the entire contents of the can without recharging it several times.

It's a crap shoot if it saves you money. 35 dollars for the can plus acetone and atf to mix..I dunno, but I like the idea.

Haven;t really looked at any since I got mine but the neighbor has on that is a lot heavier built than mine. He runs his up to 90 lbs. I stop mine around 30 or so. Just enough to make it spray good. Hate to see one of them blow up 2/3 full of anything.

You have steel bolts in an aluminum housing, good luck. I've found it hit or miss on the Suburbans removing those bolts, I've gotten lucky and only broken a couple over the yrs.

You have steel bolts in an aluminum housing, good luck. I've found it hit or miss on the Suburbans removing those bolts, I've gotten lucky and only broken a couple over the yrs.
Have a transaxle that sat out in the weather for years. The bolts that don't twist off pull the threads out of the aluminum. Have a machine that was decently kept and it all comes apart like it was assembled last week. Don

Only tip I'd give is maybe use a impact wench "set on very low setting " as to not break it off and just let it rattle on it a little. I've had luck that way occasionally. Sometimes the vibration helps.
I do the same, very light hits going both ways till I see things move. Usually though I put some heat on the bolt first, just to make things expand a bit to break the rust's grip. Not red hot by any means, and let it cool down till just warm before tapping the head lightly with a small hammer, then hitting it with light impact action. I have read a lot about heating things pretty warm, then applying candle wax as a penetrent. Many folks claim it works very well! I've not tied it myself yet.

I dropped my Central Neumatic on the envil end and broke one side off so the sockets would not stay on. Picked up an Earthquake with settings on it for $60 at a Pawn Shop we hit ever once in a while. Love that impact - lot stronger than my old one ever though of being.

Back