Generator Lights

4getgto

Bill from Northampton County, Pennsylvania
Some may think I'm a little nuts but I added a set lights to my generator.
I was tired trying to find a flashlight to go out in the dark with no electricity to start the generator. Doesn't happen often but once is enough. Found some 13" strip lights on Amazon for $11. Each have their own switch. They work great. You can see exactly what you want to do. Kinda surprised the new generators don't offer this. Of course you need a 12v battery. Some pictures. These were taken at nite in the garage..

IMG_20190810_204321.jpg

IMG_20190810_204349.jpg

IMG_20190810_204334.jpg

We have several of the free flashlights from HF around the house, basement, shop, etc. Don't have to look far at all for a flashlight.

We have several of the free flashlights from HF around the house, basement, shop, etc. Don't have to look far at all for a flashlight.
Yep I have them too. Just dead or can't find them when I need them. Now I don't have to look.. ;)

Great idea. Plus trying to hold an flash light with your mouth and fiddle with a generator is a pain.

Be pretty cool of you could wire them to a 120v relay and when 120v power drops from that normally open set of tips it turns your 12v lights on your generator so the lights will be on when you go in the room with your generator. You could put a 12v timer on it so when 5 minutes passes they shut off.

Just an over the top idea lol

You dun good. I have carried a penlight sized flash light in my pocket for many years. Worked in shipyards, When the lights go out and you are deep in the bowels of a new ship under construction it gets as dark as you are likely to ever see. Trying to navigate in that dark and ever changing environment can be life threatening. Got in the habit then and never dropped it. Since the new LED lights came out the batteries last forever. Don

Great idea. Plus trying to hold an flash light with your mouth and fiddle with a generator is a pain.

Be pretty cool of you could wire them to a 120v relay and when 120v power drops from that normally open set of tips it turns your 12v lights on your generator so the lights will be on when you go in the room with your generator. You could put a 12v timer on it so when 5 minutes passes they shut off.

Just an over the top idea lol
yep . Been thinking of that . Never fails when you think you're done.

Our power seldom goes out for very long. Been out here for 19 years and don'[t think we have ever been w/o power for over a couple hours. Usually only once very couple years or so. Wouldn't pay to have a generator for that short of time.

I was tired trying to find a flashlight to go out in the dark with no electricity to start the generator. Doesn't happen often but once is enough. Found some 13" strip lights on Amazon for $11. Each have their own switch. They work great. You can see exactly what you want to do. Kinda surprised the new generators don't offer this. Of course you need a 12v battery. Some pictures. These were taken at nite in the garage..

View attachment 16421

View attachment 16422

View attachment 16423

Excellent idea!!! I may have to do the same!!

Our power seldom goes out for very long. Been out here for 19 years and don'[t think we have ever been w/o power for over a couple hours. Usually only once very couple years or so. Wouldn't pay to have a generator for that short of time.

It only takes once to pay for it. If you have no sump pump, no biggie. Sump pump even with battery backup...generator!

If I ever get a generator I'm stealing your idea! Hands free to get it going instead if trying to hold a flashlight or balance a magnetic light right where you need it. I dealt with trying to aim the little magnetic HF lights where they would shine where needed this weekend a lot, and just about threw a couple of them through the wall! They are great little lights but can be a hassle as well.

When our power goes out it can be lengthy. 38 hours in 1988 and 26 hours in 2013. Several 4 and 5 hour episodes in between. Lights have blinked a few times just in the last 15 minutes. Wicked thunder storm going on at the moment.

DAC

It only takes once to pay for it. If you have no sump pump, no biggie. Sump pump even with battery backup...generator!
We would still have water and if needed heat the fireplace would be lit. The rest that runs off elet can wait 2-3 hours w/o power OK,

View attachment 16421

View attachment 16422

View attachment 16423
The Champion I had before my current one had them from the factory, great idea

If I ever get a generator I'm stealing your idea! Hands free to get it going instead if trying to hold a flashlight or balance a magnetic light right where you need it. I dealt with trying to aim the little magnetic HF lights where they would shine where needed this weekend a lot, and just about threw a couple of them through the wall! They are great little lights but can be a hassle as well.

When our power goes out it can be lengthy. 38 hours in 1988 and 26 hours in 2013. Several 4 and 5 hour episodes in between. Lights have blinked a few times just in the last 15 minutes. Wicked thunder storm going on at the moment.

DAC
you go right ahead and steal. If I had to go to prison for every idea I stole on the internet I'd be doing life..! :thumbs:

Lights on the generator may be a good idea BUT - you still need a flashlight to find your way to the generator and turn the lights on.

Back