Got another chainsaw running

cjet69

Tractorologist
This saw was given to me by a friend about 10 years ago and I only ran it a couple of times. It's been just sitting on a shelf ever since. It's a Homelite XL model 105074. I tried to start it last year and found no spark, so I just put it back on the shelf. This weekend I pulled it out, got the flywheel off, and after about 3 attempts at filing the points, I now have really good spark. I poured some fuel in the spark plug hole and after a few pulls it fired and died. Poured more fuel down the carb and promptly flooded it. Pulled the plug to get the excess fuel out and clean the plug. Put it back together and after a dozen pulls it came to life. Not sure what I will do with it yet as far as keeping or selling it. The only thing it needs is the plastic cover over the carb. I'll post a vid of it running when uploaded.

GOPR3128-m.JPGGOPR3129-m.JPGGOPR3130-m.JPG

Those old XL's can run seemingly forever! I got Uncle Asa's Echo CS3000 running for him. Needed fuel tank grommet, new primer bulb, fuel lines and filter, and spark plug. He's had it for years and been sitting for 3, but carb performed like new! Oh, and put a new Oregon chain on it too. 12" bar.

They are about the handiest saw for smaller limbing there is. I had one for several years. It finally just wore out, not enough compression to even start. Think it is still in a box in the garage.

I found one of those while we were cleaning out my grandparents house in the spring. My dad told me to put it in the scrap pile, it had a blown motor. I figured I could at least take it apart and see what went wrong and if it is repairable. If nothing else, I could learn a little about it since I never worked on an engine that small. The rope pulled over fine, and it had spark, so I dumped a little premix in the carb and it fired on the second pull. It runs great, my dad must have had it confused with another one. I have not used it yet, but it just needs a chain then it will be ready.
28D0D1D0-74C4-408F-BCAC-1E263738D548.jpegDBF6F25B-B19F-4087-B87A-CD881C068CF3.jpegD6200291-9AE8-42B6-AA8C-19BDDAB7220A.jpeg

My brother got an old Sachs Dolmar 115 from a co-worker that was throwing it away in the company dumpster. He said it wouldn't start so he bought a new saw. My brother checked for spark, poured fuel in the spark plug hole and carb, poured out the excess and got it fired up. It runs great now.

This is our other Homelite model VI Super 2. The clutch is slipping bad, and parts are getting hard to find, but I did some searching last night and may have found the parts we need. It runs but may need crank seals replaced also.

GOPR3136-m.JPGGOPR3137-m.JPGGOPR3138-m.JPG

Here's my contribution to this thread. A saw I used in the early 70's, bought by my FIL as a used saw. We cut a bunch of wood with this!
DSCN0334.JPG DSCN0335.JPG DSCN0336.JPG

Still runs today, just not used as much.

Back