Got the 60 inch Deck installed on the 1620

MNGB

Tractorologist
Hi all, installed new blades on the deck checked it over good greased the center spindle and got it under the tractor and installed. Went pretty good for the first time its heavy so I used a prybar and blocked it up to grt it onto the hitch etc. Run the PK out tried the deck the PTO engaged and the deck sounded good so gave it a short test try the grass had so much dew this morning it looked like as much water as grass was coming out so just did 2 rounds to see how it was cutting it was good, will mow some this afternoon when the grass dries.

Well this afternoon it got hot the grass dried and I got the 1620 out and mowed with it it does a good job only thing is the old complaint that is with all the PK 60" decks and that is they have a tendency to scalp at the ut edges of the deck I'm going to fabricate so anti-scalp wheels the fellow I bought the tractor from said he had tried some tempeory wheels and they worked good si we'll see what I come up with, these decks used on the Plastic Kings were built by Simplicity for PK with a couple of minor changes (spindles & blades) anyway it runs quite smooth and cut good, its amazing how much more you cover with a 60" deck vs a 42 ot 48". HPIM2105.JPGHPIM2106.JPGHPIM2107.JPGHPIM2108.JPGHPIM2109.JPGHPIM2110.JPGHPIM2111.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi yesterday I added a anti scalp wheel on the LH side it helped mowed 1.5 hrs and it did not scalp on the left side so will get busy and finish the RH one to see how that works next time around, ya I have a couple of 48 & 42 inch decks that I mow th lawn with but on the large areas that 60" is really nice and those areas are not critical for looks

Hi all have been mowing with the PK 1620 for some time now really like this tractor and the anti-scalp wheels are working great, the ones I installed earlier were a quick proof of concept set so the last couple of days I've been fabricating some permanent wheels and I think these will work. I
designed these to be adjustable and easier to remove

HPIM2182.JPGHPIM2183.JPGHPIM2184.JPGHPIM2185.JPGHPIM2186.JPGHPIM2187.JPGHPIM2188.JPGHPIM2189.JPG

Those should definitely do the trick. I always shoot to stay at 48 to 50" decks. The 60s always scalp on me....the best cut I've ever had was a bolens free floating with wheels. That thing cuts like a dream.

Those should definitely do the trick. I always shoot to stay at 48 to 50" decks. The 60s always scalp on me....the best cut I've ever had was a bolens free floating with wheels. That thing cuts like a dream.
Hi Toomanytoys, you are right a 42/48" deck cuts better and that's what I use on my lawn but I have a couple of larger areas 1 to 2 acre areas that I use the 60" deck on I like that wide swath but even though its not the lawn it bugs me to see the scalps and besides I have to justify buying the tractor:D

I had a Kubota B7100 with a 60" deck. It had 4 anti scalping wheels on it but was only good for even, smooth ground. Would leave the grass long where the wheels carried the deck. Sold it to a guy that mowed cemateries as a retirement job. Now I mow with a 50" deck and there are times that is to wide. Mrs Cub with a 42" deck does the best job of any of them.

I had a Kubota B7100 with a 60" deck. It had 4 anti scalping wheels on it but was only good for even, smooth ground. Would leave the grass long where the wheels carried the deck. Sold it to a guy that mowed cemateries as a retirement job. Now I mow with a 50" deck and there are times that is to wide. Mrs Cub with a 42" deck does the best job of any of them.

Cub 109 with the 42" deck cuts the best out of the fleet of cubs. Doesnt scalp or leave any uncut grass.

Back