Gravely Commercial 10 (A?)

Cat385B

Knighted as Sir Cat, Vanquisher of Spam
Staff member
Picked up a Gravely tonight from an online auction that ended Wednesday. It has a Commercial 10 hood, but the engine is from a 10a. So I'm not sure what I have for sure. 

The difference between a 10 and a 10a is ground speed. The Commercial 10 is one of the first models where Gravely outsourced an engine, a Kohler. So the first year models had a Kohler, but the rest of the machine is the same. Gravely engines are governed at 2800 rpm. Then they slapped a 3600 rpm engine on it. Some guys call that the run behind model. The next year they slapped a gear reduction on it and got it reigned in.

This one is not too fast, so I think the hood is wrong.

Just the snowblower included. Going to look for a 50" deck for it to start out.

IMG_0993.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

Oops, forgot to add: It runs good, pops right off. Minimal smoke, it is set a bit rich. Doesn't labor when you kick the pto on. One tire loses air, probably get two new tires. Push bottom starter removed, has key ignition now. I will put the push button back on later.

This is the older 4 bolt attachment style, not the quick hitch. You can buy an adapter, however.

This is my new excercise regimen if I can find a mower deck for it.

A long time Gravely collector, Gary Voigt, is selling off some of his collection. (Minnesota Outdooors North on MTF) I gave him a call last night. I will be picking up a plow blade from him next Friday. Four bolt attachment, (which is what I need) good cutting edge, good paint, and the swivel is in good shape. 

I'm looking forward to meeting him and taking a look around. I think he said he has 80-90 walk behinds and tractors.

See if he has any water cooled ones for sale when you're there.

Got the plow, decent shape. Cutting edge is slightly rounded up at the edges. He has some neat Gravelys. A 20G w/ 60" deck for mowing duties. A 1937 D with the original wooden handles in great shape. Lots and lots of L models.

Gary had a show he was heading to, so I kept the visit brief. I could of spent hours there. I hope to visit again soon.

Little update, the snowblower bit the dust this winter. Poor repairs by previous owner, it will have to be rebuilt.

There is three Commercial 12's on an upcoming auction, non-runners. Each has an attachment, a tiller, a snowblower, and a 30" rough cut. I plan on trying to get those. I will try to get one of the three tractors running for a backup, and sell (if running) or part out the other two.

The 3 Comm 12's still reside at a $5 bid each, auction closes Wednesday.

No, I would of had to leave work early. So, I would of been $100 in the hole there, another extra $20 for gas at least by taking the truck and trailer, they needed to be cheaper by half.

Back