Growing Tomatoes

I always struggled trying to grow tomatoes. Blight, or rot or just about anything would happen to them. Gave up and told the wife she can buy them.

Been real dry here, mine are small and shriveled.....Story of my life....lol

I use a balanced approach since too much nitrogen alone will just cause a shitload of vegetative growth...lots of green but few tomatoes. My plan has always been spread rabbit manure in the fall, (its great manure and fairly available where I live) then in spring tilling I run the lawn spreader across once with plain old 16-16-16 to balance out. Done me well for 25 years. My plants have a great balance of growth and tomatoes, plants are just over waist high and loaded.

For blight, I always believe in the preemptive strike. This is time of the year that the winds are carrying the spores, which for us comes from south of the border. There is actually a couple of government agricultural websites that track the movement of blight, for example, I looked last week and it has been reported in mid-New York state. It usually arrives with the heat and humidity. At any rate, I spray the plants (including potatoes) with Copper Sulfate (better known as Bordeaux Mixture), it is an excellent deterrent. If I end up getting it anyway if I miss a spray or two after rains, I pull the bad parts out and trash them, and spray Chlorothanonil.

I have sprayed copper once so far and it was last weekend after reading the blight reported across the lake.

Alternating halves of the garden gets year old Horse manure each year. That's about it. We only planted one tomato plant and I think we are going to harvest it for lumber. Plant is huge and only two tomatoes. :( In the past we have had large plants but plenty of tomatoes also. Maybe pruning is in order.

Back