Half way there

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

Decided to try to mount my own tires. Bought bead sealer for the rears and started there, I got those on pretty easy using my harbor freight tire changer. I wrapped the tires with ratchet straps and was able to set the beads easily. The fronts were a different story, I can't even get them started on the rim, I admit defeat and will take them to a shop to have them done. Not sure if that's a Deestone brand thing or if its because they are tri-ribs.

Thanks
bobcat2

Smaller diameter tires are more difficult to do. I used to hate it when I'd get a little ATV wheel in my shop. It usually took two of us to wrestle them on or off.

My Cub as 24" R1 ag tires on the rear. I can pretty much just wish them on and off the rims.

I had to tube the front ATV tires on mine. Fought me like a bear getting the first one off enough for tube. The 2nd one I could not even break the bread and learned it was already tubed. The newer tires seem a lot tighter than the older ones coming off.

A common problem is the paint can effect when mounting small tires. If the wheels aren’t painted and nice a pair of vice grips on the bead to keep the tire from working it’s way around is the way to go. After you get half way around or so make sure the bead is also in the drop center, the skinniest part of the wheel. Good luck!

sadly, my rims have 4-6 coats of paint on them, I honestly think its because of the 6 ply tire and being tri-rib, they are stiff. No worries though, one local shop charges $5 per tire to install, oddly, the one across the street charges $15...I'm thinking he doesn't want to deal with them.

Back