Heat resistance?

bobcat2

Tractorologist
I've poked around a bit, but haven't gotten many real world experience feedback...

How heat resistant is tractor/implement paint? Not the rattle can stuff, but the quart/gallon like Rustoleum, Majic, ect. I'm sure its not meant for high temperatures, but what about the tin from an engine like the flywheel shrouds, pulleys, ect.? I've tried finding high heat paint in IH white and AC orange without any luck.

Thanks,
bobcat2

I've poked around a bit, but haven't gotten many real world experience feedback...

How heat resistant is tractor/implement paint? Not the rattle can stuff, but the quart/gallon like Rustoleum, Majic, ect. I'm sure its not meant for high temperatures, but what about the tin from an engine like the flywheel shrouds, pulleys, ect.? I've tried finding high heat paint in IH white and AC orange without any luck.

Thanks,
bobcat2
I don't think you'd have to worry about anything on the engine using regular paint except maybe the heat shield around the muffler. Even then depending how far it sits away you may not have a problem there either. Any surface you can keep your hand on you should be good. JMO....

Edit... With the exception of the fins on the head and cylinder... But they're covered by tin sometimes too.

Over the years I've used everything from rattle cans to mid range automotive paint, and all holds up well except some areas like 4getgto mentioned. BUT, some of the TSC paints don't hold their color well over time. Majic I have used, but being it's not been around as long, I can't say how it holds up. Rustoleum holds up well.

After playing with Majic IH white today, I can't recommend it, but I'm not a painter by trade. Think I'll try Valspar or Rust-Oleum for AC orange.

I can’t think of any paints coming off of engines that I’ve painted. I wouldn’t be surprised if manic came off with some heat, it can barely hold its color on its own! It seems you have already tried it and gotten the same results as me:

I think the Majic was Valspar's new formula as they went to a soy oil based paint instead on regular dino based paint.....or that's what I heard a few years ago. Valspar spray paint used to be top notched.

Back