Help I.D.ing a Kohler

MFDAC

Tractorologist
A guy on FB has this old generator for 50 bucks. He doesn't know what model the engine is. Since the wrong engine is in the MF1450 I thought it might make a good replacement if it is a narrow pan K321. Looks like it might be a narrow base engine but can't tell for sure. Can anyone make an educated guess as to what it is?
kohler1.jpg

Kohler2.jpg

Kohler3.jpg

DAC

WOW, that was hard reading the model id at a skewed angle.

1951 Kohler 350M21 350 watt generator set
Kohler K7 Engine

Here are people who are very interested in this type of machine. Seems yours is in great shape.
1951 Kohler 350M21 350 Watt Generator Set #154768
350W isn't much for a genset these day. I can get that by just plugging into the power outlet in my vehicle.
:thumbs:

1 solar panel with charge controller and a battery can do 900CCA.

This is a novelty genset. Good for an off grid hunting cabin or out in an ice fishing hut. In a hunting cabin, it could run a small water pump for a sink or charge some batteries for other uses. It's not terrible, just needs to putter a bit longer.

WOW, that was hard reading the model id at a skewed angle.

1951 Kohler 350M21 350 watt generator set
Kohler K7 Engine

Here are people who are very interested in this type of machine. Seems yours is in great shape.
1951 Kohler 350M21 350 Watt Generator Set #154768
If you have a B+S engine, battery and a GM alternator, you could produce more genset power. And be mobile with it too.

1702139893248.png

I've made 4 of these in the past. 3.75Hp up to the 6.75Hp B+S.

1 mower charged two batteries, ran an inverter, had two large CAPS and ran a farm well.

For those Y2K lovers, you can make this one,
Convert a Lawn Mower into a Generator - Vertical Mount (Part 2)

Overall a small genset does have it's place over the big fuel thirsty gensets. These are great to charge a bank of batteries while sipping fuel and the sound level is quieter.

The Kohler mentioned here can be a nice machine to trickle charge a bank of batteries to draw power from later vs. a large genset for immediate power.

Personally, I would keep the Kohler, clean it up, upgrade it where possible and use it for practical purposes as mentioned.

Thanks for all the info everyone! The seller never messaged me again with any further info today. Don't think I want to mess with it.

It looks like this one is 3500 watts to me also. Says 3.5 KV on the tag.

Don't narrow base mount with the bolts up from the bottom?
All I know about it is the block in my tractor has holes "puttied" up that should have a wide oil pan, LD. It was the first and only K321 I have ever dealt with. It slowly seeps oil. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those plugs would vibrate out at some point. Those square shapes are the putty or epoxy.
DSCN4071.JPG

The pan fits like this.
DSCN4070.JPG

Maybe I am using the wrong term by calling it "narrow pan". Not sure about anything on this engine!

DAC

Thanks for all the info everyone! The seller never messaged me again with any further info today. Don't think I want to mess with it.

It looks like this one is 3500 watts to me also. Says 3.5 KV on the tag.

All I know about it is the block in my tractor has holes "puttied" up that should have a wide oil pan, LD. It was the first and only K321 I have ever dealt with. It slowly seeps oil. I wouldn't be surprised if one of those plugs would vibrate out at some point. Those square shapes are the putty or epoxy.
View attachment 76449

The pan fits like this.
View attachment 76450

Maybe I am using the wrong term by calling it "narrow pan". Not sure about anything on this engine!

DAC
That is a wide base block w/ a narrow base pan. That is why they needed to fill in those spaces.

I don't think the K341 that I got from a JD with a narrow base pan but also set up for a wide base pan had those cut outs.
Sounds like there are wide pan only blocks, Rad. I'm pretty sure some previous owner of the MF1450 probably found a replacement engine from something with a wide pan, then figured out the block was wrong for that tractor. This was the fix. I think the cut outs were in some blocks but not all.

DAC

Back