Help with Simplicity 48" Mower Deck. Belongs to my AC B112

steve b

Tractorologist
Hi Folks,
My AC B112 developed an issue with the deck. The spindle drive belt had a total failure so I replaced it. Googled it up and purchased a 4LK850 belt. I had quite a time getting it on. The idler spring is very strong, to the point I was wondering if that belt was too short. I did have a online look again and several sources indicated that it calls for an 85 inch belt. Shortly after installation I have a bad bearing in one of the spindles or the idler. My plan is to rebuild the whole deck figuring im about to remove it and install the blower for the winter anyway.

So far I have been unable to find the manual for the 48 inch deck. I have found the manual for the 42 inch deck ( says it is Mfr's # 575 ). Can someone confirm that the spindle drive belt is in reality a 85 inch belt? Are the spindles the same for both the 42 and 48 inch decks? Jack's small engine seems to imply that they are. Do they both use the same idler pully? Any tips on rebuilding spindles?

My final curiosity is... why does the spindle housing have a grease zirk if the bearings are sealed? I have been greasing those spindles every year for the last 20 years.
Thanks in advance for the help!

You can put your model number on here and it should give some info.

Parts Tree is great! I use it all the time. At the local mower shop once the parts guy found out where I got my part numbers from he quit double checking.

If that is the correct belt use these guys instead of Parts Tree a lot cheaper. I’ve used them for several years with good results.

If that is the correct belt use these guys instead of Parts Tree a lot cheaper. I’ve used them for several years with good results.
I have never ordered off of parts tree. I always get a better deal and no shipping at the local mower shop. Or find that part number online for a better deal.
I have used Parts Tree diagrams quite often.

Thanks folks,
I have ordered parts. The 93 inch belt, which I ordered, can't be correct. The one that came off measured 87" no way that idler is going to take up 5 inches of extra belt. But I will get it.

Now, why does it have grease zirks on the spindles?

Filling that spindle up with grease keeps water out from between the bearings.
I'm guessing too it does something. But they all seem to use a sealed bearing along with a zerk fitting.. I give mine 7-8 pumps of grease every 8 hours, where it goes , what it does , no idea. But after roughly 25 years and 1200 hours only replaced one bearing. So grease gets in them somehow I'm assuming...sealed or not..

I’ve changed or replaced several spindles over the years. If the grease isn’t dirty in which most cases it’s clean I try and salvage what I can. I just hand pack what I can with the salvaged grease then top it off after it’s put together using the Zerks.

Late to this thread! On the Massey Ferguson 610 deck with my MF12G, there is a sealed bearing on the top and a roller bearing with a lip seal in the bottom of the spindles. They are not greasable from the factory, and of course the roller bearing is subject to fail after years of service. I rebuilt the deck in 2019 using longer roller bearings and added grease zirks and vents. Also pulled the seal out of the inside of the sealed bearings to let fresh grease in. So far so good.
DSCN2087.JPG

DAC

Back