HF Mini Tire Changer

chieffan

Tractorologist
Used on the small tires up through 11". Has anyone used one? Your opinion of them? I would adapt it to sit on the post of my Coats tire changer.

yeah I just bought it a month or 2 ago, make sure you get 2 of the cheap tire irons they helped a lot. the smaller the tire the more it sucks, you also have to watch how much ass you put into it, remember it's cheap Chinese junk that will bend and break, but it works. for install the more dish soap you use the easier they go on. I mounted it to a 1/2 pallet, I did about a dozen so far, I tried doing a 12" with 23x10.5 that was to much for it.

Ive been using one for several years.... have it mounted to a steel table and Ive done several dozen 12" and smaller wheels on it.

I have a piece of large diameter threaded rod, 7/8 I think, that I clamp in my vice. A couple of nuts and washers holds the wheel on it......and have at 'er with some tire irons. For the 12 inch or bigger tires, I have this old rig...
Garage 004.jpg

Thank much for the advise. I have the tire irons as I use them on the the larger tires on my Coats machine. Also use a pair of large screw drivers with the edges rounded that works good. Nice handles to get hold of.

This is mine from Princess Auto.... same thing as the HF ones I believe. I also picked up a larger one a couple years ago but still havent gotten around to mounting it on a pallet

026.JPG027.JPG

Funny I thought HF stuff was made in India?
Personaly I think it is a good little tool for the price and if done correctly will last.
I got a flat in a ATV tire and couldn't break the tire down to fix it so took it to a tire shop said they couldn't do so small a tire. Took it to the ATV shop and they charged me $50.00 to fix it. That was in 1998 prices too.

I have used the tire changer and been happy I bought it several times.

:D Al

I ended up re-enforcing the bead breaker for my HF one, later made my own bead breaker. Otherwise, it's a handy tool for small tire repairs!

I bolted mine to a metal "T" shaped plate that I clamp into my bench vise.

I have done it that way several times but my bench vise is mounted on top of a steel welding/work stand and is to high for comfortable working on tires. Also to easy to tear up the tire bead using small tools like small screwdrivers. 9 times out of 10 the bead won't fall off like it showed in the video. Think I will go for the HF changer and be done with it.l
Thanks guys.

I have been looking for a coats rim clamp machine in a reasonable price range for a while now.
That would be the way to go with the small wheels. Last two I brought in they had to use the slide hammer to break the bead. I have one of those too.

Real finger pinchers if one is not careful. Got mine with a bunch of other stuff piled in a large plastic yard cart with 2 flat tires, $5 for the lot.
Still using the cart.

I got one of the HF mini changers close to 20 years ago as I was always picking up needles from the Hawthorne trees that used to be in my yard. I have since mounted it on a receiver HF vice mount and it is about the right height.

Picked up the HF tire change today. Got it together and ready for use. I hope I never scratch the paint on it but know that won't happen as have a tube showing through the tread on the Mrs Bolens 775 RF. New tire is hanging on the nail in the shop.

I thought about buying one but the local tire store where I buy all my car tires also gives me the best deals on my tractor and mower tires and they mount them free for me.

I have a HF mini tire changer I've never used yet, but need to bring it to the new shop to break it in on the JD 214 front wheels. Gotta put new tube in. Hope it works well. I've been using my large shop vice to break beads on smaller wheels.

Back