Homemade Rabbit Repellent

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I planted 18 sweet potato plants last week. The next day I had 16. Two days later missing the tops off of two more. I've watched two baby rabbits now much bigger play all spring near my new unprotected potato patch area. I found this remedy online & so far after four days no more damage. I watched them yesterday evening rifle in hand for over an hour off & on. They would graze all around my patch but only looked at the sweet potatoes & hop away. Its rained the last two days so I'll probably have to reapply. This 20 oz. concoction was just enough for my 40' row of 16 plants.
Screenshot_20190527-153903_Google.jpg

I've noticed a few of my sweet potatoes gone, also some of my lima beans. I sprinkled Seven on them, but doesn't deter them too much.

I've noticed a few of my sweet potatoes gone, also some of my lima beans. I sprinkled Seven on them, but doesn't deter them too much.
I never had much success with seven or malathion against animals. It's pretty bad stuff too. It was funny watching them. I had to use binoculars & I would loose them a few times & grab my gun. Some of my clay boulders looked like a varmint didn't help. They would sit there facing the wind then flip around like confused not eating anything then move, rest & eat. This was my first try There's other deterrants on line. I used a quart Mason jar & punched several holes in the lid as a shaker. I just hope our sweet potatoes don't taste spicey. :eek:

The only thing I have seen the rabbits eat here are dandelions. That's the best I can offer them since I'm not ambitious enough to raise a garden. Oh they also like wire insulation on an old mini-van/shed in the back yard!

DAC

I planted 18 sweet potato plants last week. The next day I had 16. Two days later missing the tops off of two more. I've watched two baby rabbits now much bigger play all spring near my new unprotected potato patch area. I found this remedy online & so far after four days no more damage. I watched them yesterday evening rifle in hand for over an hour off & on. They would graze all around my patch but only looked at the sweet potatoes & hop away. Its rained the last two days so I'll probably have to reapply. This 20 oz. concoction was just enough for my 40' row of 16 plants.
View attachment 13855
Ok I tried it. Now everyone is knocking on the door wanting tacos. Please advise.

I put some on my beans and sweet potatoes a couple days ago, looks like it maybe working. Of course heavy rains for next few days so have to reapply and hope they stay away until rain stops.

I put some on my beans and sweet potatoes a couple days ago, looks like it maybe working. Of course heavy rains for next few days so have to reapply and hope they stay away until rain stops.
Yeah Marty it totally disappears after a rain. I have to go to the dollar store for some more spices. I also read a cotton ball with a few drops of peppermint oil works too. My wife does the doterra essential oils so I have a lot of that stuff. Its concentrated so it shouldn't take but a couple of drops on each cotton ball. Most animals & bugs don't like peppermint.

Yeah Marty it totally disappears after a rain. I have to go to the dollar store for some more spices. I also read a cotton ball with a few drops of peppermint oil works too. My wife does the doterra essential oils so I have a lot of that stuff. Its concentrated so it shouldn't take but a couple of drops on each cotton ball. Most animals & bugs don't like peppermint.

My wife does the Doterra too, she has a small suitcase full of that crap :D I tell her she should never be sick with all those snake oils. HAHA
I got my spices at Menards of all places, $1.00 for a small shaker bottle, probably enough for 3-4 quarts of solution

@#$*^*%$%#$ rabbits. Rain washed off my mix Weds night. I misses Thursday, When I looked Friday morning 1/3 of my sweet potatoes were chewed up and almost every bean plant was gone. I have 3 new rows of bean breaking ground so Friday night I put up some old chain link fencing I had lying around. I'm also still going to use mix, Japanese beetles will be starting soon.

Yeah I missed a day after it rained & seen two had the tops chewed off. Needless to say two rabbits are having bgg heavenly sweet potatoes now not mine. I'm getting concerned about this concoction causing these sweet potatoes to be spicy. I've put it on three times in about three weeks. I'm thinking about going to plan B using the cotton balls with peppermint oil. I'm impressed how fast these plants recover after being chewed on & a few to the ground.

Back