Honda ATV Axle Nut Tool

olcowhand

Daniel In KY
Staff member
Administrator
UPS dropped off my 41mm socket, so cut it in half and welded in 10" of thick wall pipe. It's 1" drive so I can use my 1" air impact or adapter for 1/2" cordless impact. No more struggling getting those fine thread nuts off!
IMG_20211213_132936.jpg.
The socket coating survived welding, so taped ends and put a coat of hammered black paint.

Great job, Daniel! Does the axle shaft slide inside the socket, or is the nut just that far inside the machine? Never worked on anything like that.

DAC
The axle does slide inside the socket after removing the wheel hub. I made it about 3" longer as some 4 wheelers have wider axles. Socket was just about $14 to my door and pipe was in metal scrap pile. So cheap and easy to fab up. I have had damaged threads that made it a half day job getting the two locking nuts off. No more!

Daniel can I ask what ATV this is and if it’s an on going axle problem. I know some guys with other models complain about axles and joints failing. I’ve wanted a particular model ATV for several years and found it a couple years ago. It’s a 2008 Honda Foreman Rubicon in the camo color with a 500 engine. It only had 383 miles and 83 hours on it well taken care of.

That is only 4.3 MPH average >?? Hard to drive one that slow. Odometer must have broke at some time or they left the key on a lot. Just thinking our loud.
No on anything broke he was a recently retired police officer that only went deer hunting a few times a year and let the grandkids ride it in his yard with it. He wanted to sell it to buy a stump grinder to start a small business. Here is pic of the dash pod the day I bought it.
68378512-DC3D-4DD6-9EBE-70B3A74EDC27.png

Not a huge problem. These in shop are all Honda 300 4 wheelers. The Rubicon is a great machine! Most Honda's are! BUT, for people who love submerging the lower half of the machine in mud and water, NO machine lasts long without axle bearings, axle shafts, and differentials needing redone.

Not a huge problem. These in shop are all Honda 300 4 wheelers. The Rubicon is a great machine! Most Honda's are! BUT, for people who love submerging the lower half of the machine in mud and water, NO machine lasts long without axle bearings, axle shafts, and differentials needing redone.
I had a hard time finding a nice one. Most I looked at were beat to death, or a lot of miles or hours. You know how it is some folks think these are boats.

The axle does slide inside the socket after removing the wheel hub. I made it about 3" longer as some 4 wheelers have wider axles. Socket was just about $14 to my door and pipe was in metal scrap pile. So cheap and easy to fab up. I have had damaged threads that made it a half day job getting the two locking nuts off. No more!
14 dollar labor saver! Good job, Daniel!

DAC

It kind of gets me to see these guys with $25K machines raise them, bigger tires, etc. just to go drive hell out of them through water, mud and what have you. Then complain about the machine being no good and not standing up.

Knew it was for a 300 as soon as I seen it haha, I've been meaning to make one they sure are a pain. I sold my last 300 about 2 years ago, still have enough spare parts here to build another one though. I've had 6 or 7 over the last 5 years or so.

Just used this tool today. Man these nuts were the tightest ever! No way I'd ever have gotten them off with a wrench. I first used my lighter 1/2" cordless impact that has 600ft pounds in reverse, then my stoutest cordless at 1,200ft pounds of reverse and got the first nut off after a few minutes pounding. But the second one never budged. Had to get my 1" air impact out, then it easily spun it off. Well worth making the tool!
1639756198556512914718087648485.jpg

Back