Honda carb problem fixed

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
A friend brought his Honda snow blower to me 'cause it was leaking gas. I finally deduced it had leaked gas into the crankcase 'cause it was blowing out the crankcase vent. Pulled the float bowl off and yes the float needle was leaking bad. Now this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer so he didn't know about the shutoff valve on the carb. I finally pulled the needle out of the float and pressed down on it hard in it's seat and decided the leak had to be between the plastic float block and the carb body. Cleaned things off good and mixed up some epoxy and carefully with a toothpick spread epoxy all around the joint between them and after it hardened checked and no more leak. Thought I'd pass this along in case one of you runs into this problem.

Attachments

• 2021-10-14 23.35.06 (Small).jpg
    2021-10-14 23.35.06 (Small).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 6
Several years ago WIX made a gasket maker that impervious to gas. Was red and came in a red tube. They replaced it with something else that don't work near as good. I used it a lot to fix gas leaks on carbs, tank fittings, etc. I use a lot of the 2 part clear epoxy, fast setting. Never did go back and see if I could get an epoxied bowl back off again ?

A friend brought his Honda snow blower to me 'cause it was leaking gas. I finally deduced it had leaked gas into the crankcase 'cause it was blowing out the crankcase vent. Pulled the float bowl off and yes the float needle was leaking bad. Now this guy isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer so he didn't know about the shutoff valve on the carb. I finally pulled the needle out of the float and pressed down on it hard in it's seat and decided the leak had to be between the plastic float block and the carb body. Cleaned things off good and mixed up some epoxy and carefully with a toothpick spread epoxy all around the joint between them and after it hardened checked and no more leak. Thought I'd pass this along in case one of you runs into this problem.
Good idea, have you ever had the gas to break down the epoxy. I know JB Weld will hold up to gas.

First time I've done it. I told the owner if it starts leaking again I'll just order a new carb. I schooled him about the built in gas shutoff valve and to use it. When I dumped the "oil" it had very little color to it. It's a wonder it didn't ruin the engine. I guess he didn't run it long enough.

Back