How to remove fluid, probably calcium from rear tires?

thom

Tractorologist
How is the easiest or the right way to remove most if not all of the fluid from tires when the wheels and tires are still on the tractor? Videos I see show a second hole in the rim for an additional valve stem to put air in pressurizing the space between the tire and tube forcing the fluid out. Is that the way it's done? How can I drill the second hole with the tube still in the wheel and tire? Then get a valve stem in the hole? There must be other ways. The '54 Power King I bought is in a place where I have not been able to bring it home because it will be difficult to move. I'm thinking about disassembling it and carrying it out in pieces. The rear tires have fluid so they will be very heavy to remove and roll. It would be much easier if I can empty them before removing them. How can I get the fluid out? How much will come out if I simply remove the valve core? Is there a pump for that? Drill operated pump from Harbor Freight? Anybody done what I'm wanting to do "in the field" and lived to tell me about it? How should I dispose of the fluid if I get it out? Someone said use it for weed killer or pour it out in the woods and the deer will lick it up.
One wheel and tire appears solid but the other rim is rusted out. Maybe repairable, maybe not, hard to tell until I can get a better look-see. I'm pretty sure both have fluid though because I cannot lift either rear off the ground. I think I would be able to lift one side at a time otherwise.
I guess the easy way is to determine if the tires are worth saving (probably not) and if not just cut a good size hole at the bottom in each one. I'm sure the tubes are shot. A hole saw in my cordless drill will do it, huh? Thanks.

Last edited:
Check with your farm tires service store. Most have the pump, etc that can remove the calcium safely, fix the tire/tube and put the fluid back in again. Little on the pricy side and not a lot of calcium used any more. Way to caustic. Don't even think of trying to handle those rear tires full of fluid in them. They are a beast with just air in them. At least block the tractor up, pump the calcium out then fill with air so it will roll good on solid ground. Lost depends on what size tractor your talking about too. Lawn mower or much larger ? ?

When I did the rear tires on my 8N ford I simply jacked up one side and turned the wheel until the valve stem was up at which point I was able to release the air pressure. How well this works will depend on how full the tires are with calcium. If they are to full you will have to use a tire chuck with a hose running to a container. When the pressure is relieved you can remove the valve core and slip a tight fitting hose over the valve stem. I put a clamp on this hose but that may be overkill. I then turned the the wheel until the valve stem was at its lowest point ans started lowering the jack. I first put the other end of the hose in a container of course. As I lowered the jack it applied enough pressure to the tire to force the calcium out into the container. When the liquid stopped flowing I jacked it back up which allowed it to suck air. Lowered the jack again to force out more fluid. One more time and all I got out was air. Left only about a gallon in the tube which isn't bad considering haw many gallons were in there to start with. Once you remove the fluid you might try offering it on craigs list. I just put it back when I was done. Don

I've done the same thing as Don said above except I just kept the valve stem on the bottom and kept blowing the tire up with the air compressor so I didn't have to let the jack down until the last time and I let the tire come done on a 6" x 6" wooden block to help push more fluid out of the bottom of the tire.

Hope that helps.

Back