Husqvarna 128LD Weedeater Issues

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
I'm working on this thing, just put a new carb, fuel lines and filter. Has a bit of bog when throttling up, got that adjusted as best I can. But the real issue is it will be running just fine then just slowly die out. Starts right back up,it runs a few minutes and dies out again. I pulled the plug and it is almost white (what I like to see on a 4-stroke). Fuel mix is 50:1 according to the manual, but the plug looks lean to me. Take a look:
DSCN4779.JPG

Thinking about mixing up some 32:1 and trying that in it. If it smokes too bad, then try 40:1. I'm no 2-stroke mechanic, rather not mess with them!

Last edited:
Looks lean but probably made to run lean from the factory since we can't possibly put any extra emissions out of anything these days....

Thanks! Hadn't thought of that.

Forgot to post this! Anyway, I squirted some brake parts cleaner through the air vent. Put some 32:1 gas in it. Fired it back up and once it warmed well, same thing. Even with the tank cap off! So that is not an issue. Pulled the plug, looks the same as before. I'm in the dark!

Oh yeah, I have checked the mesh in the muffler and it is clean.

Any possibility the coil is going? I have a leaf blower that runs great for 20 minutes, shuts down, and won't run again until it cools down, coil is going in it. Luckily I only need it for 15 minutes at a time.

Any possibility the coil is going? I have a leaf blower that runs great for 20 minutes, shuts down, and won't run again until it cools down, coil is going in it. Luckily I only need it for 15 minutes at a time.
Nope! Starts right back up! I tried the new plug that came with the carb, it backfired and spit up. So I checked the gap in the old plug and reset it to .024 by the manual. Seems to be doing decent. I'm sending it home to see if it works okay for him! I'm totally done with this thing!

I avoid chain saws and weed whackers, and gas powered blowers as those things will drive ya nuts, plus if one charged a decent labor rate, better for the owner to go buy new! They are mostly built as a "throw away item" anyway, much as I hate to use that term.

Back