Hydraulic oil everywhere

Cvans

Tractorologist
I've rebuilding the 3 point snow blower for the JD 2032r. Originally it was painted early Yanmar calf scours green and looked terrible. Just couldn't make myself use it behind the newer JD. In this photo I'm setting up the winch driven chute turning system.
IMG_0627.JPG
The whole blower was disassembled and sandblasted. All cracks and bent parts were repaired or replaced. New bearings and seals were installed where needed. Then the unit was painted and reassembled. The chute turning assembly was reinstalled and adjusted and is working smoothly. The winch was used because I didn't want to have to install rear hydraulics so the original hydraulic system could be used. Much easier to run wires than hydraulics. More about this later.

SQTU3315.JPG
The turn buckle will be removed as it was installed to make setup easier. Today I thought I would start on the wiring seeing as how the last of the parts arrived to complete the controls. Ran the 10ga wires from inside the cab to the battery which is locate at the very front of the tractor. Right behind the battery is the radiator, Oil cooler for the Hydro, and then another small cooler for something. I'm reaching down into a space behind the grill to do this which makes it kind of tight when wearing a coat and gloves. I had the positive wire hooked to the battery and was installing the circuit breaker when the wire got away from me and just barely touched one of the fins on the hydro cooler. I had to really look to see where it touched. Was glad to see no damage was done and completed the hookup. Fabricated a mount for the controller and by that time it was getting dark so cleaned up and put the tractor away. As I'm setting there looking out the windshield I notice a stripe of fluid on the ground and moan to myself. Get out to look and there is a big pool of oil on the ground under the front of the tractor. It's coming from the oil cooler I touched with the wire. I've now gone from being happy with my progress to sick, really unhappy with myself, to totally disappointed. So tomorrow I get to call JD and order a new cooler. Anyone want to guess what that's going to cost me???????
More pictures tomorrow as I should have settled down by then.

As I'm setting there looking out the windshield I notice a stripe of fluid on the ground and moan to myself. Get out to look and there is a big pool of oil on the ground under the front of the tractor. It's coming from the oil cooler I touched with the wire. I've now gone from being happy with my progress to sick, really unhappy with myself, to totally disappointed. So tomorrow I get to call JD and order a new cooler. Anyone want to guess what that's going to cost me???????
More pictures tomorrow as I should have settled down by then.
:eek:
Is this a trans cooler ?

Nice job on the blower. Those mistakes we all make are the worse that do make you kind of sick. I agree dig that cooler out if you can and take it to a shop for repair. Make sure they pressure test it before you take it home. I’m still waiting on the Yanmar green story Brett.

It appears that it won't take much to get it out. I think I can get the bucket off the loader without moving the tractor as it's a quick attach. The loader itself is also but I'd have to drive the tractor to remove it.
Will probably just raise it all the way up.

Hopefully there are safety latches or some thing to hold the loader up. If something fails and it falls.

Noel

The price of the coil is reasonable at $236.00 so I'm just going to replace it. :) I don't want to have problems down the road with a leaking repair. Really expected it to cost twice that amount.
This time I'm disconnecting both battery cables and covering the battery before I do anything. The battery is only a couple inches away from the radiator and coils.

Originally it was painted early Yanmar calf scours green
Very descriptive. :D That cracks me up.
I've now gone from being happy with my progress to sick, really unhappy with myself, to totally disappointed.
I wish I could say that I am unfamiliar with this feeling but sadly I know it all too well. Most of the time it's not nearly as bad as I first assumed. Looks like you've got it on the run now. Looking forward to a short video of this in action.

It only took about an hour from start to finish. Took longer to get the table set up and the tools out there than to get the coil out. The hardest part was getting the battery removed. The fittings are on the bottom of the coil behind the battery. The screwdriver indicates were the hole is.

Attachments

• 8A357B08-0529-4A89-894E-E62BA7D51D43.jpeg
    8A357B08-0529-4A89-894E-E62BA7D51D43.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 16
  • AFE8872A-190A-4817-9759-ECF0071CBEF9.jpeg
    AFE8872A-190A-4817-9759-ECF0071CBEF9.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 16
  • C891B6D1-B55D-442C-AEA9-3C7E69CF3511.jpeg
    C891B6D1-B55D-442C-AEA9-3C7E69CF3511.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 16
But just to point out, calf scours can vary wildly in color! Lol
My experience with scours I'm sure is not as extensive as yours. :D I never could figure out why Yanmar used that color. Yuk!
Sent the parts dept. photos and measurements of the cooler and for $15.00 more they can have it here in the morning. Tuesday maybe if shipped with their normal shipments. We are suppose to have a storm here on Tuesday.

Nope. Am I going to be sorry I asked?
Prior to the early 1970s, Yanmar tractors were RED. As Yanmar made advancements in tractor technology, Deere Co. took notice. Deere wanted to buy or to license a Japan tractor brand to crack open the Asian market. Instead the doors wouldn't open. They ended up with an agreement with Yanmar to make compact tractors in the early 1972. Yanmar was pro-active and began collecting supplies. One was the JD green paint. Just as the Deere and Yanmar agreement was to take off, the Dollar vs. the Yen flipped the wrong way. Deere didn't cancel the agreement, instead, they DELAYED the launch. Nearly 5 years goes by before Yanmar makes the first Deere all green tractor in 1977.

S30-Sabarau-sold-to-Yanmar-YM3000年表_ill.jpg

The big question, whatever happened to all that prior JD GREEN paint? Yanmar had to either take a lose on the millions of gallons of paint or be clever enough to use it. Yanmar diluted the JD Green paint and made it into Tree Frog green Yanmar paint. Farmers in Japan called these green machines Tree Frogs and the red machines apples due to their culture.

Here is the original Deere model Yanmar had to align to make their compact tractors look like a Deere. All of this is at the Yanmar Tractor Historical museum in Japan.
Yanmar Tree Frog to John Deere.jpg

John Deere & Yanmar on the same assembly line.jpg

When the green paint was used up, Yanmar went back to red machines.

Some models like the YM2000 began Tree Frog green and in a model change over went to Apple red.

In the image in the upper right, both Deere nd Yanmar machines are made on the same line with the same engines. One green and one red.
Looking at the tractor sizes and the model listings of both brands, its speculated the JD machine is the JD850 and the Yanmar is the YM2500.

Yanmar - John Deere - Production Line in Japan.JPG

The Japan automation at the time was well advanced vs American factory produced products. To run more than one model and even in different paint schemes shows the pre-cursor to the Toyota Japan manufacturing system beginning to flourish.

If anyone has an interest in knowing more, these two threads are a wealth of history and funnies to go along the way.

And now you know the rest of the story, Good day! -Paul Harvey

:thumbs:

Back