I dealt with the alternator and starter on my Pony

thom

Tractorologist
I had put a new GM internal regulator alternator on my Pony but I didn't like it shining like a new penny and it seemed to be shouting "Hey look at me I'm a GM alternator" so I disassembled it and painted it flat black. The starter needed a new bushing in the drive end so I replaced the bushing and painted the starter black too. I stripped the red paint off the solenoid and left it bare, as it should be. I think they both look a lot better.20190205_093342.jpg20190205_164705.jpg
I plan to order a new data plate for the Autolite starter and the upcoming complete rewire will take care of the sh***y looking wiring on it now.
The push-button starter button picked a great time to fail. Actually it stayed "engaged" because I replaced the line from the engine to the oil pressure gauge, which is right above the switch, earlier and forgot to tighten the line at the gauge. So when I started the engine oil squirted onto the switch. It took a couple of days in the warm (70+ degree) sunshine for the oil to soak into the switch, but by the time I got the starter back on and hooked the battery cables up the starter began to turn as soon as I connected the second cable. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what I had done wrong to the starter, or solenoid. I removed the starter and solenoid twice and disassembled everything trying to figure it out before I remembered the oil line disaster a few days ago. I checked the switch and sure enough, it was staying engaged even when the button was not pushed. I would have kicked my own butt except I am partially handicapped as a result of a serious accident almost two years ago and cannot kick high enough.
Oh, in case anyone catches it, yes the push-button starter switch does not belong under the oil pressure gauge. Things have been moved around on my Pony and none of the controls on the dash, except the choke is where they belong. All that will be taken care of in the next few days during the complete rewiring.

Last edited:
Back