I gotta come up with something better

MFDAC

Tractorologist
This lift link is giving me fits the last few times I've mowed. It shears the cotter pins off, top and bottom. Had anybody come up with a better way to pin or attach these things? It's on a 1975 MF12G

DAC

DSCN1019.JPG

Also, you are putting the washer on the side where the cotter pin is, right?

One of those pins caused me issues once too as they bent bad enough that I had to cut them with the die grinder to get them off when I was changing to the blade from the cutting deck. It stayed in place though!

Can you make 1 with longer ends so it's not against the pins so hard.
I'd also check to see if the ends are sprung causing it to ride toward the ends against the pins.
Tighter fitting id Dia. washers will help also.

Probably a combination of those things. They are worn enough that the diameter is smaller where it hooks into the links so if the washer rides inward it's loose and outward it gets tight BUT the loose area is right up to the pin hole. It's just plumb wore out.

Also, you are putting the washer on the side where the cotter pin is, right?

Oh yeah definitely pin side at first----

The bends are straightening and the washers must be protecting the pins.
If the bends are at 85 degrees, the weight will work in, not out. You may want a washer on both sides.

Yeah, I did the washer on both sides when I had some similar issues a couple of years ago. It worked well at the time. Now it must be worn bad enough where it cuts right through the pins. That's a good tip having the ends "toed in" slightly towards each other to keep the force sliding towards the vertical link rather than the washer and pin most of the time.

I'm thinking, since It's looking like I better build a new one, about a link that is double shear kinda like a power chain link. Leave enough room for lateral movement of the deck though as my yard is rough and there's lots of obsticles to bang the deck into. Probably overkill I suppose.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

DAC

Thanks guys. I never got to mow today. Last Thursday a 5 year old student kicked my wife and broke one of her toes, so I helped her do errands and grocery shopping today. When we got back home she was ready to put her foot up! I had painted a sign and built the structure for her church earlier this week and when we got home our son helped me take it and store it in the basement of the church for them to dig post holes and install it. By then it was 4 pm and raining so I gave up on mowing until tomorrow. It's supposed to be considerably cooler anyway. The link works as it should sitting on the shop, but we'll see how it holds up on my rough yard tomorrow now.

DAC

Time to buy the wife some steel toes....

I have recommended that to her before. I wear steel toes almost all the time. Usually her little darlings kick shins and knees, This one changed the routine.

Grass is way too wet to mow again so far today. We got 1.25" of rain last night. Maybe late this afternoon.

DAC

I went ahead and mowed this afternoon much to the wife's dismay. She's bored with her foot up doing nothing and wanted to take the old truck to a short "cruise in". I told her if she intends on going to work tomorrow, that she better heal up as long as possible. She listened and the grass got mowed on a nice, cool dust free day! There was a bit of mud in places but not a problem.

The link worked well, but there was a belt rub occasionally when the deck would push to the right. It was slight enough I didn't know it until I took the pictures. Belt on the rub side looks fine. That was about 2-1/2 hours of mowing. I will have to think about what to do about that or if it's even worth worrying about.

First pic is deck lowerd for cutting, second is deck raised.

DAC

Attachments

• DSCN1037.JPG
    DSCN1037.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN1033.JPG
    DSCN1033.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 15
Can you move the pulley out on the shaft on both ends?

The pulley on the cutting deck end is the only end that can move away from the lift link. The upper one can only move it closer. I took these pictures just now and the rub mark is no worse that after the first mow. I mowed faster than normal yesterday as it looked like more rain was coming but the deck must not have moved any further than when the paint was rubbed off the first time. The belt still looks fine.

DAC

Attachments

• DSCN1058.JPG
    DSCN1058.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN1059.JPG
    DSCN1059.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN1060.JPG
    DSCN1060.JPG
    187 KB · Views: 8
Back