IH 1650 Re-Motor

chieffan

Tractorologist
Been on this project for a few weeks now, on and off. I picked up the tractor w/o an engine but had a good snow thrower on it. Finding a K series Kohler in this area is next to impossible, tho there are those that seem to think they are laying all over the place. Either junk or priced way out of sight. Anyway, I got a B&S 16 hp Vanguard, good compression, runs like a top. Biggest challenge was the adapter from the flywheel to the drive shaft. Once I figured out just what was required I drew up a plan and headed for a friend who just happens to own a welding/fabrication shop. Got that part made up and started on motor mounts. Removed the old mounts down to the frame and worked on getting the motor situated with clearance and aligned with the input of the hydro. Built the motor mounts and got them in place and set the motor in.
angled the front of the motor a bit high to get the most angle out of the shaft connections. Got everything hooked up and bolted/welded in place. No vibration and it all looks good to go. Now to get the snow thrower drive mounted and belt pullies lined up and the thrower mounted. That will be the real test.

1650.JPG 1650-1.JPG 1650-2.JPG

1650-3.JPG

Thanks. I have not run it much yet to know how hot it will get from the muffler up top front like that. May have to remove the headlights for more air flow. Don't use lights anyway. I sure like the smoothness of the twin over the singles I have. This one is a solid mount to the frame.

That fits like a glove. I just bought a Bolens G11XL repowered with a 16hp Vanguard Twin. It runs so smooth & quiet. Did you bolt it down solid or use the rubber mounts.

Back