In A Dilemma, Need Advice

1967Craftsman's

Tractorologist
Hi All,

I am in a dilemma and could use some advice on what to do. I am fixing up the paint on my electric start Craftsman power unit because it did not meet my standards. I want the stuff I am painting to color match or very closely color match the rest of the tractor, and with that said I went to my local paint store to see what paint I needed. They gave me a price of $200 before tax for the reducer, activator, primer, and paint in a pint liquid. If I were to do this with 3 spray cans of each, which I prefer more it would cost $193.00 before tax. I got all the parts sandblasted and I put rust-oleum flat grey primer on, and I was thinking of putting rust-oleum yellow paint on the tractor parts then putting the good paint from the paint store on as a "top coat". The paint store guy says he strongly advises away from doing that because the paint would lift because the paint I would use is activated. He also advises using their stuff to do the job and stripping the rust-oleum primer I sprayed on everything off, which I do NOT want to do since it is on there already and would eat up more time. As I mentioned before, it would cost me $200 before tax for a pint liquid set up and if I were to do this with 3 spray cans of each it would cost $193.00 before tax. I talked with my stepdads friend who was a painter back in the day, and he technically agrees with the paint store guy BUT my way would work too but would take longer. The finances are not really an issue well, let me rephrase that they kind of are because I don't want to spend that type of cash if I don't have to but will if absolute need be. It's just the time I am concerned about. I want the tractor done for the first weekend of October because there is a tractor show I want to take it to and make the tractors "debut" if you will but I would still need to put it all together. My goal is to hopefully take best of show with this tractor but I am still undecided on what to do.

All of this said I am debating whether to strip everything off again and spend the $200, or if I should take the "cheap way" out and put the rust-oleum paint on the tractor parts then putting the good paint from the paint store on as a "top coat".

Any suggestions, comments, and help would be appreciated. thanks everyone in advance.

For what it's worth I use rattle cans on all of mine. several are past the 5 year restore date and still look good.

DON'T mix Rust-Oleum with any other paint or it will peel and lift guaranteed. Now if you had started with about any other brand you would have a better chance of getting the results you want.
If you do as you are talking, you WILL be doing it twice.

Back