Interesting Battery Info

I have had good luck with Walmart batteries. Battery in my IHC truck lasted 7 years which was about the life of my last couple marine starting batteries from Walmart
I did buy a Napa battery for my Toyota last year. I’m impressed only because I left my parking lights on for 11 hours and truck started:)

so I am finally following up on this. I had this out of booster box, I ran it in my wheelhorse 701 all summer, it's 7"x3"
I've got one of those batteries on the Lister Petters diesel and it starts it just fine. I do use the unloader to get the engine up to starting rpm but then it cranks it just fine. Amazing the power in one of those little batteries.

I learned something a few of years ago that has helped me with the batteries in my truck. That fall when this started if the truck set for a day with out being started I would have to jump it to get it to start. The batteries are several years old so I thought it was getting time to change them, but when it is a 2 battery set up I wanted to look at them a little closer before replacing them. So the next time it did this I disconnected them & put a charger on them. In a minute or so the batteries would show a full charge. So I cleaned the terminals real good & the truck started with no problem. So now every fall I disconnect the batteries & clean the terminal. I have found now that the truck can even sit for a week with out starting & still start right up with out a jump & those are still the same batteries that 4 years ago I thought might be time to replace them. I have been doing this to rest of the batteries in other equipment & they seem to be lasting a lot longer also. My thought on this is with weak terminal connections that the batteries are not always getting a full charge which has an affect on the life of them.
Charlie

I used to bring my boat batteries, 3 Marine Deep cycle, in during the winter. Would hook up a tail light bulb to them in parallel. Let it burn for a couple weeks, then put the trickle charger on them for couple weeks. 2 week intervals was easy to remember, got paid ever 2 weeks. Batteries would run 4 - 5 years. Those batteries take a lot of abuse with all the pumps, locators, trolling motor, etc. on them. I need to get about 4 of my GT batteries in the basement. Maybe tomorrow, race is on today.

I used to bring my boat batteries, 3 Marine Deep cycle, in during the winter. Would hook up a tail light bulb to them in parallel. Let it burn for a couple weeks, then put the trickle charger on them for couple weeks. 2 week intervals was easy to remember, got paid ever 2 weeks. Batteries would run 4 - 5 years. Those batteries take a lot of abuse with all the pumps, locators, trolling motor, etc. on them. I need to get about 4 of my GT batteries in the basement. Maybe tomorrow, race is on today.

What's your theory on hooking up light bulbs when sitting..? Can't say I heard before.
:confused:

I ran a light pack battery in Loran's tractor for two years. It finally died, but that’s what you get for using “garbage”
The new Family Farm and Home store had a deal on batteries this spring, bought a couple.
Will report back next spring. We'll see.

What's your theory on hooking up light bulbs when sitting..? Can't say I heard before.
:confused:

To put a drain on the battery so you arent constantly topping off. Not sure if there is scientific proof that this helps battery longevity but it sounds plausible.

I usually treat my batteries like crap and they last a good while. A lot of times I just throw them in the warm basement then throw a trickle charge on them in February or March to top them off before tractor season begins.

To put a drain on the battery so you arent constantly topping off. Not sure if there is scientific proof that this helps battery longevity but it sounds plausible.

I usually treat my batteries like crap and they last a good while. A lot of times I just throw them in the warm basement then throw a trickle charge on them in February or March to top them off before tractor season begins.
Wouldn't the newer "smart" chargers do that you ?

I just have "dumb" chargers. My trickle chargers are those 5 dollar ones from rural king and the one I just bought. A battery tender brand that plugs into your cigarette lighter for my deere. I never read if it does anything smart.

An old timer told me years ago the death of batteries is charging too fast. My old charger my fil got me over 40 years ago still works. It has a trickle & boost function. If a battery fails I hook it up on trickle for a day then it's fine. I never leave them charging over night for safety reasons.

An old timer told me years ago the death of batteries is charging too fast.
Could be true if left on at high rate too long. Most modern auto charging systems can dump a lot of amperage into a low battery at first but start backing off as soon as the initial charge is made. Used to see a lot more over charged (cooked) batteries when mechanical regulators were used as the contacts would weld themselves closed. Took longer though as the Generators usually had much lower amperage ratings the the newer alternators. Checking water levels in the battery cells was a normal thing in those days. When was the last time you did that on your car?
Another thing that kills batteries is lack of use.

I've been looking at some of the new chargers especially those real small devices. My antique will boil one over if left on too long. I never take my batteries out during winter storage. I do go out & start them up a few times. I think that's a good thing for the battery & tractor. Checking water in a battery brings back memories. My dad always forgot & would say " well ! there's the problem, no water"

Back