Interesting Rattle Can Paint Test

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
This video has a recap on this 2nd part about the 1st so no need to watch the 1st. I found it interesting because I have used the Rust Reformer before and still had a few specs of rust come thru the following year. I would like to try and do all the prep work needed then use only the Rust-Oleum finish coat with no primer. All the tractor body panels I have stripped or SB I have never seen a factory primer beneath the top coat. I have also wandered if the finish coat has rust resistance how can it resist the rust if it’s not touching the metal because of the primer. Chime in

... but your results may vary. I'll continue using it!
I too would agree. Results do vary. I can use the same rattle can on a small project and a week later having found a like item and to do the job again. Then looking at both rattle can painted some time later and notice differences.

It's humidity, overcast or not in the sunlight, outside temps, lite wind to no wind, time of day, and even barometric pressure all have a bit of play to all of this. Outside or in a garage, it doesn't matter.

Surface prep is a whole discussion in itself too to prevent rust coming thru, it's not just primer or primer+paint in one.

My neighbor with the Ford 1500 tractor is a union profession painter by trade. He has the knack over the 3 decades to know exactly how things would turn out before starting. From aircraft to masonry walls, he done it all. He has 2 garages. One has his mini paint booth. He has in the booth an air dryer and certain low heat lamps. He also has two IR lamps. There is a strung wire reams between two 6ft poles and a odd venting system. Even in his booth, he can tell the differences with what is controlled. As a professional, any rattle cans have to be within the same lot code, off the same store shelf from the same delivered box for the closest consistency.

He did paint his tractor the original Ford blue. Then he got the loader done. The loader was done week later. He had to wait for the same like weather day in a same like evening to do it in his garage paint booth. Yep, he's that picky. He writes all of the conditions down in a log book. I found it fascinating. About a year later, one of the loader cylinders needed to be replaced. Guess what, the replacement needed to be painted. He went to the log book and waited for the time to paint. The machine looks to NICE to use!

When he got the Ford 1500, it wasn't in good shape at all. It was missing the all the rear 3PT hardware too.

I didn’t watch the video but I highly recommend the kimbell products spray paints. Not sure who makes them. I’m sure they don’t make them, but relabel.

We use them at the shop. They have a rust blocker primer that works great. Sand blast or strip, paint with the primer, paint the color and it holds up.

I painted some brackets up and the customer never placed the order. I threw them on a pallet outside. They laid there for a year, in the sun, snow, rain and still look good!

My favorite primer is the self etching that Rust-Oleum has. I have a MF12 that’s been SB and primed with this and put away in boxes for 9 years now I think or more. I pull a box out every now and then and no rust or discoloration at all, of coarse it’s not been exposed to any weather. The frame has been standing up in my shop the whole time.

For me I’m thinking the Rust Restorer is not as good as advertised compared to just a finish coat of the same brand on bare metal. I’m going to do my own testing.

I've used the heavy rusted metal primer for years in trailers and stuff that doesn't need a super slick finish. It holds up great.
I painted a small trailer back in 1994 and never top coated, still have that trailer and I would say it lasted close to 20 yrs before showing any rust pop through.
I've had issue lately with the Rustoleum cans getting plugged. It's not the nozzle, but the tubes. Almost full cans that are unusable.

I've used the heavy rusted metal primer for years in trailers and stuff that doesn't need a super slick finish. It holds up great.
I painted a small trailer back in 1994 and never top coated, still have that trailer and I would say it lasted close to 20 yrs before showing any rust pop through.
I've had issue lately with the Rustoleum cans getting plugged. It's not the nozzle, but the tubes. Almost full cans that are unusable.
Walmart is the worst. It’s so bad I keep my receipts because I’ve had to return so many cans that get clogged. I pull the nozzles off and clean but still doesn’t help. It’s the paint that has lumps.

Back