It is Here But Where

chieffan

Tractorologist
Picked up a 20 yo never been used Brinly plow a couple weeks ago. Sold my plow and tractor to finance the FEL couple years ago. Tried the plow on a Bolens G16 yesterday and could not get it to work close to right. Would not go in the ground over about 4". Ground is black sandy soil, no clay. Sleeve hitch is free floating with a winch lift set up. I know there is a post on how to set these plow up to work right but cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated.

Picked up a 20 yo never been used Brinly plow a couple weeks ago. Sold my plow and tractor to finance the FEL couple years ago. Tried the plow on a Bolens G16 yesterday and could not get it to work close to right. Would not go in the ground over about 4". Ground is black sandy soil, no clay. Sleeve hitch is free floating with a winch lift set up. I know there is a post on how to set these plow up to work right but cannot find it. Any help would be appreciated.
This what you are looking for?
Setting up a plow
There is a link to GTTalk as well in the first post but here it is in case you miss it - Proper way of setting up a one bottom plow

I think got this one to where it will work good under better ground condition. Ground is dry, paint still on the lower part of the plow, etc. I did get it in and put the tractor up on blocks and found the plow was set to far to the right. Had to move the block on the frame of the sleeve hitch one hole which put it about right for a 10" plow. On the Medium frame Bolens the sleeve hitch block is mounted with 2 bolts to the frame and there are 5 sets of hole which it can be mounted in. I am now at the furthest to the left. Removed the coulter which helped get it in the ground some. Dirt falls into the furrow which makes the tractor with 10" tires ride higher than it should. I think I have a narrow rear tire off a tubre frame that Imight put on there for garden work, and that is all the tractor does is tiller, disk and now plow. I like those wide tiresfor tiller and disk work, less ground compaction. Will do some more reading on this. Neverr paid much attention to it before as the old plow work great behind the tube frame G10.

Spent about an hour getting the black hard paint ground off and finally got some bear metal showing. Tried it in some corn stock ground of the neighbors. Turns a lot more dirt but does not leave a decent furrow. Don't need it any more this spring so think I will put a coat of grease on it and park it till fall when I have more time to mess with it.

Back