K321 Points Replacement

CorkBoy

1986 JD 214

New to me in 2011 with an undefined 'engine rebuild'

The following info is provided as everyone will ask, but the information has no bearing on my ASK.

Last two years repairs

1. New coil
  2. New condenser
  3. New plug wire
  4. New plug
  5. Valve lapping
  6. Valve gapping corrected to standard
  7. New carburetor
  8. Removed worn out original fuel pump and replaced with a Briggs pulse pump
  9. New gas line from tank
  10. Cleaned gas tank
  11. New deck belts
  12. Replaced rear deck sheave
  13. New Air Cleaner

MY ASK

I've seen the videos, I've talked to Taryl, here's my ASK:

• When new points are installed, and adjustment is set, so the gap is as wide as possible before rotating the flywheel, do l I rotate the flywheel looking for the widest points gap, then gap at 0.020, and adjust as necessary between 0.018 - 0.022 until engine runs properly under load?

Reason for changing points:

• Old points were 12 years old
  • Under load, the engine was running smoothly, but would not run at full power.

Thank you

Your points gap should be set at the widest it opens. In other words if you set them at .020, they should never open any wider than that no matter how much you turn the flywheel. They should only be open for a brief amount of time.

DAC
I figured that out a few hours ago by being tedious and patient. When I fire it up tomorrow, I'll find out if I taught an old dog a new trick :)

Thanks

When I change or set point gap on a Kohler K series engine I set the points to a tight 0.020" or 0.019" and they run perfect. You didn't say what the engine is installed on, but Kohlers have a timing hole in the flywheel shroud but my experience is without removing the shroud and cleaning the flywheel you can't see the mark on the flywheel. I've don't think a properly set up Kohler will run good with a gap over 0.020"

When I change or set point gap on a Kohler K series engine I set the points to a tight 0.020" or 0.019" and they run perfect. You didn't say what the engine is installed on, but Kohlers have a timing hole in the flywheel shroud but my experience is without removing the shroud and cleaning the flywheel you can't see the mark on the flywheel. I've don't think a properly set up Kohler will run good with a gap over 0.020"
JD 214

Thanks for the reply

.018-.019 seems to work best for my Kohlers.

Back