Kohler split piston.

SimplyRad

Simplicity fanatic
For those who have never seen one I took the head off the K301 to pull the piston that split. The piston was galled and stuck to the cylinder wall a couple times and I wander if that may have developed cracks when I broke it loose.

DSC_0292.JPG DSC_0293.JPG DSC_0294.JPG

Ya some Kohler pistons did that but most had many many hours on them and not all were low on oil but could be a factor some where in my shop there is a piston that looks like that

Since the engine was stuck on a couple occasions breaking it free can definately stress the piston, especially if you break it free by working the crankshaft back and forth...... your pulling downward on the conn rod but the piston may or maynot come with it. I always break a piston free by soaking it with auto tranny fluid and tapping downward on a wooden block cut to fit the cylinder.

This engine was supposed to have had new rings. The piston galled to the cylinder wall a couple time before I tore it down and reset the end gaps as they were only about 30° total distance apart, blow by was extreme and would sent the dipstick flying, and honed the cylinder to clean it up. It ran good for about a year after I worked on it before it blew.

Naa just put the aluminum wire in the welder and go to it.
been wanting to find a spoolgun for my Millermatic 185 for other small aluminum projects around here.... I get tired of sending stuff to the only guy I know with a TIG and waiting forever to get it back, finished.

Back