Labor Day big rigs

And they are built to go a million miles so I imagine driving them to the park a couple times a year isn't too hard on them.
There's another guy in my area that was a truck driver forever and has an old Emeryville that does just that.. similar to the one below.
9fbb86e4473d90da814cac77e97342a8.jpg

Retired now but drove all his life.

In some cases it’s less expensive to buy a good shape road tractor than a antique car. Buddy of mine is into old trucks. That’s his business. He has a couple old trucks he’s fixing up for himself. Trouble is with them is paying for insurance, registration, inspection, that sort of stuff, so he tells me.

Noel

In some cases it’s less expensive to buy a good shape road tractor than a antique car. Buddy of mine is into old trucks. That’s his business. He has a couple old trucks he’s fixing up for himself. Trouble is with them is paying for insurance, registration, inspection, that sort of stuff, so he tells me.

Noel
I would say you're right on both counts..

I had a B42 Mack for a while. They are just plain expensive toy. Tires $500 a pop now. Cruising in a spring ride tractor without a load,,the novelty wears off within a couple bumps.
This was first air ride tractor I ever drove,,,hauling explosives Montreal to NW Ontario…1986E0191F4F-D93F-4E5A-AF96-19843D43728F.jpeg

Apparently these guys show up at picnics with their big boy toys to party......About 3 miles from me..

View attachment 41794

View attachment 41795

View attachment 41796
I think that's a pretty cool hobby for truckers! That's their business and why not preserve the history of the profession! Nice trucks, Bill!

Noel
Although it's not a restored classic, a friend of ours bought one to haul his 5th wheel RV. He has less than 20 grand in the truck and to buy a diesel or gasser pickup to haul campers such as this will cost 4 times more!
Tims hauler.jpg

Right now he is at a week long dirt track race in Boone, Iowa. He calls this pic "Where's Waldo"---LOL!
Tim's camper hauler Boone IA.jpg

DAC

Although it's not a restored classic, a friend of ours bought one to haul his 5th wheel RV. He has less than 20 grand in the truck and to buy a diesel or gasser pickup to haul campers such as this will cost 4 times more!
I'll bet that Semi drives and rides a lot nicer than a one ton truck pulling the same load. Mileage is probably about the same also.

When I was a kid back in the 60’s visiting my grandma my uncle that was a diesel mechanic would take me many times back on the old mining roads in Eastern Ky. It was always one of many late 50’s Mack B’s. I have always loved them trucks especially the restored two tone paint schemes.

I think that's a pretty cool hobby for truckers! That's their business and why not preserve the history of the profession! Nice trucks, Bill!

View attachment 41865

Right now he is at a week long dirt track race in Boone, Iowa. He calls this pic "Where's Waldo"---LOL!
View attachment 41866

DAC

Not sure what his fuel mileage would be pulling so light but north of 12mpg likely and easy miles There be a gauge on his instrument cluster he can watch fuel consumption. I used to get 9mpg between Newton Ia, and Detroit with COE and 48’ trailer grossing 60K(light qppliance load) with a series 60. Your friend has the tractor licensed as RV no doubt
…My 460 GAS engine averages 10 and less when im towing…

Back