Lawn and garden battery

That's a thinker... And I'm saying that in a good way..
My first thought is that the regulator,coil only uses voltage not amps. The starter amperage. ???? I could be out in left field....

Close, the current used by the devices (regulator, coil etc.) is determined by the voltage and the device resistance. In a very real sense current (amps) is pulled by the device, not pushed by the battery. Going to a larger capacity battery won't be a problem.

With older start/gen systems it was normal to have a small car battery but if you do that to a modern lawn and garden tractor there is a very good chance you will damage something in the electrical system.
As long as you are using a 12v battery and don't hook it up backwards that is impossible. Don't matter how much power you have "available" the machine will only use what it needs. Whether you have a 250 cca battery or a 1000 cca battery, if the starter only needs 180 cca it will only draw that much no matter what the "reserve" is

Never had any luck with lawn and garden batteries. I was boosting my tractors with my truck until i got a pocket size lithium booster. Take a look at battery used in a Honda Fit. Likely fit under the hood and much better quality.

Last edited:
I have had great luck with whatever brand Advance Auto Parts sells. It has been in my B112 since 2013. I am in NY and this thing has seen plenty of -10 days and 100's in the summers. NAPA only good for 2 years tops.
Several years ago I read a battery review and Advance Auto batteries came out on top. It kind of surprised me. I didn't expect that from Advance. Not using a battery regularly kills them quickly.

You guys are right about amperage draw. Amps are not pushed by the battery, but pulled by the component. Fuses provide protection in case something goes wrong and too much amperage is drawn. If it were the other way around the 4000 cca's in a heavy truck would blow every fuse and breaker in it. So would your car, pickup and tractor.

I use Honda Civic batteries in some of the tractors. The higher the CCA the longer they last. I find. With any type of battery. I have a 340 CCA lawn and garden tractor battery in my MF 12 been in there for many years. In some cases I think, a car battery may damage the charging system, in some tractors. Because it can’t charge the battery. Battery looking for more charge than tractor systems can produce.

Noel

In some cases I think, a car battery may damage the charging system, in some tractors. Because it can’t charge the battery. Battery looking for more charge than tractor systems can produce.
Interesting thought that I've not heard before. It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of others.
As I understand it a charging system is like a well pump. A small pump will not fill a wading pool as fast as a larger pump. The smaller pump will have to run longer to fill the pool and therefore it's lifespan will be shorter. It would seem that a smaller charging systems life span would be shorter if it's expected to do the job of a larger system. That being said the size of the battery does not determine the load on the charging system. The down stream load on the battery does.
This is the way I've understood it.

The charge system only has to put back in what has been taken out, so the charge system can't be damaged simply from it being a larger battery. Now if any size battery, large or small is faulty and won't take a full charge, then the system might be damaged from overheating the voltage regulator from the constant full rate charge.

Drove the Ranger down to the machine shed the other morning. Went to start it and completely dead, radio clock did not come one. Jumped it got it back to the shop, cleaned the battery post and cable ends, back together and put a charger on it. Next morning it was still charging 4 amp. Pulled the caps clear off and the water was a grey slimy color. 5 yo Interstate is shot. Time to replace it before something else gets overheated and goes. Battery was in the unit when I bought it last January. Never seen battery water turn grey like that before.

. In some cases I think, a car battery may damage the charging system, in some tractors. Because it can’t charge the battery. Battery looking for more charge than tractor systems can produce.

Not possible. Still a 12v DC system. No matter the size of the battery the tractor will only draw what it needs to. If you have a 180 cca GT battery or a 1000 cca car battery in there and the starter needs 150 ca to do it's job then all that will come out of the battery is 150 amps.
It will be easier on the stronger battery. Now if you run either size battery down low, it may take more from the charging system to bring it back up to charge. You'd have to leave the lights on for an extended time or if you're one of those who has a killer stereo on your gt and like to run it for hours off of the battery and repeatedly run it low on charge then you might be on to something. Otherwise the stronger battery should be easier on the system if anything

Back