Let more repair & maintance games begin !

Rustyoldjunk

Rustologist/Punishment Glutton
I love this old truck.
I have had it about 4 years and have drove and worked the snot out of it. It's a stout old truck and I love driving it.
With 300,000 plus on it,it's still a great truck.
Its a 95 and I bought it from the guy who had owned it since 96.
360,auto,4x4,3.55 gears.
It has extra rear spring and twin transmission coolers.
It has been pulling trailers since about new. The guy I bought it from used it to pull his 5th wheel.
I use it to haul heavy and light,to pull single axle trailers loaded heavy and even car trailers hauling SUVs and pickups.
It runs and shifts great.
Its time for some TLC though.
I'll start this adventure by replacing the water pump,clutch fan and radiator.
Then several steering components,front axle universals and the headlight switch.
Then q transmission fluid and filter change and a oil and filter change.

Attachments

• 20201016_134530.jpg
    20201016_134530.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201016_134541.jpg
    20201016_134541.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201016_134551.jpg
    20201016_134551.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201016_134606.jpg
    20201016_134606.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 15
I am on the fence with my 95 Camry (daily driver) with 312,000 miles. This car requires a TON of work, but seeing I am retiring this December I would have more time to fix the issues. On the other hand I bought this March 2010 for $2500 and feel I got my money worth out of it.
I like older vehicles and machines so I would like to restore this one, But I think it would be costly.

Attachments

• Camry.jpg
    Camry.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 6
I love this old truck.
I have had it about 4 years and have drove and worked the snot out of it. It's a stout old truck and I love driving it.
With 300,000 plus on it,it's still a great truck.
Its a 95 and I bought it from the guy who had owned it since 96.
360,auto,4x4,3.55 gears.
It has extra rear spring and twin transmission coolers.
It has been pulling trailers since about new. The guy I bought it from used it to pull his 5th wheel.
I use it to haul heavy and light,to pull single axle trailers loaded heavy and even car trailers hauling SUVs and pickups.
It runs and shifts great.
Its time for some TLC though.
I'll start this adventure by replacing the water pump,clutch fan and radiator.
Then several steering components,front axle universals and the headlight switch.
Then q transmission fluid and filter change and a oil and filter change.

Rusty If you have time and the place to work on it I say keep it and fix it up like you are doing! It just boggles my mind folks buying $50,000+ trucks every few years! It has been a faithful old Dodge to you so far so pay it back by freshening it up! I get attached to trucks easily and then I feel like I'm betraying them when I consider selling---LOL! I guess we've got 4 older trucks in the family, and now a Jeep and then an old Camry like Larry posted---LOL!

DAC

I am on the fence with my 95 Camry (daily driver) with 312,000 miles. This car requires a TON of work, but seeing I am retiring this December I would have more time to fix the issues. On the other hand I bought this March 2010 for $2500 and feel I got my money worth out of it.
I like older vehicles and machines so I would like to restore this one, But I think it would be costly.
I've got a '95 Camry too. My brother-in-law bought it new, gave it to my Mom 6 years later and then Mom gave it to me for out daughter's college car 11 years ago. Daughter gave it back to me when she bought herself a new car around 5 years ago. Wife's uncle gave her a Jeep so I was thinking about selling the Camry, but I've gotten attached to it now too---LOL! There's something wrong with me!

If I remember right besides being a 2 door, you have a manual tranny and a V-6 too. Don't see many of them Larry!

DAC

It is a 5 speed manual and has a 2.0 slant 4. 40 MPG highway still and real easy to work on. No rust at all, but the suspension bushings are shot, rattles like a tank, and drifts in a cross wind. Clutch is getting weak, Hood and latch needs replaced, Been a good car for the price, and the second car I have had that topped 300k.

Rusty If you have time and the place to work on it I say keep it and fix it up like you are doing! It just boggles my mind folks buying $50,000+ trucks every few years! It has been a faithful old Dodge to you so far so pay it back by freshening it up! I get attached to trucks easily and then I feel like I'm betraying them when I consider selling---LOL! I guess we've got 4 older trucks in the family, and now a Jeep and then an old Camry like Larry posted---LOL!

DAC
DAC I agree. I just can't see the prices people are paying today. $30-80,000 and for a pickup ?
It just seems crazy to me.
I did buy a new diesel dually Ford F350 in 96 and paid $30,000 for that one...before interest.
I use my trucks. When I pay big money I stress scratches,dents,wear and tear way too much.
I also strongly dislike payments.
I hadn't bought a Dodge in a long time until I bought this one because I was familiar with some of their issues and didn't want to deal with them.
I bought this one while looking for a cheap work pickup. I was looking for a Ford or Chevy but everyone I found was hacked up or had a rusty frame etc.
Then I found this old Ram in pretty nice original condition that was pretty much a one owner. Its a 95 and he had bought it in 96.
I bought it cheap at $1,400 and was still skeptical of my new to me Dodge.
Well,four years later this old rig is like part of the family. And now when I look for other older work trucks I look for this style (94-2001) Dodge Rams.
The toughest part anymore is finding a long bed. I strongly prefer a long bed truck. That is almost exclusively what I use.
But most used pickups from the 90s up are short bed.
Anyway back to the old Green Machine.
It hope to keep it off winter duty mostly from here on out to keep it out of the salt. The frames still good and I want to keep it that way.
After going thru mechanicals that need repaired or replaced so that its road worthy again I hope to start on body work and eventually put another nice coat of green on the truck.
I usually mostly play with older Ford (60s-70s) stuff and have a garage full of old Ford stuff but this old Ram has earned a spot in the family and as I said earlier now I'm on the lookout for another Ram very similar to it.

It is a 5 speed manual and has a 2.0 slant 4. 40 MPG highway still and real easy to work on. No rust at all, but the suspension bushings are shot, rattles like a tank, and drifts in a cross wind. Clutch is getting weak, Hood and latch needs replaced, Been a good car for the price, and the second car I have had that topped 300k.
Mine has the 4 banger too but the plain jane 4 door automatic. It is still under 200,000 but sure likes timing belts. Had one break under 100,000. I put a new one in along with components at about 160,000 and that belt was looking pretty worn. Lots of other little issues too but still runs and drives good. The darn center vents in the dash quit working so no air comes out with the heat or a/c. Never tried to tear into that one yet! Rust on mine is surface rust since the paint job is bad.

DAC

DAC I agree. I just can't see the prices people are paying today. $30-80,000 and for a pickup ?
It just seems crazy to me.
I did buy a new diesel dually Ford F350 in 96 and paid $30,000 for that one...before interest.
I use my trucks. When I pay big money I stress scratches,dents,wear and tear way too much.
I also strongly dislike payments.
I hadn't bought a Dodge in a long time until I bought this one because I was familiar with some of their issues and didn't want to deal with them.
I bought this one while looking for a cheap work pickup. I was looking for a Ford or Chevy but everyone I found was hacked up or had a rusty frame etc.
Then I found this old Ram in pretty nice original condition that was pretty much a one owner. Its a 95 and he had bought it in 96.
I bought it cheap at $1,400 and was still skeptical of my new to me Dodge.
Well,four years later this old rig is like part of the family. And now when I look for other older work trucks I look for this style (94-2001) Dodge Rams.
The toughest part anymore is finding a long bed. I strongly prefer a long bed truck. That is almost exclusively what I use.
But most used pickups from the 90s up are short bed.
Anyway back to the old Green Machine.
It hope to keep it off winter duty mostly from here on out to keep it out of the salt. The frames still good and I want to keep it that way.
After going thru mechanicals that need repaired or replaced so that its road worthy again I hope to start on body work and eventually put another nice coat of green on the truck.
I usually mostly play with older Ford (60s-70s) stuff and have a garage full of old Ford stuff but this old Ram has earned a spot in the family and as I said earlier now I'm on the lookout for another Ram very similar to it.
Insanity for sure paying that kind of money for a truck for personal use! A lot of people make a lot more money than I do! I also prefer long box pickups. I let the '55 get away with it though since that year an 89" bed was the longest available---LOL!

That's a good plan trying to use the Dodge in the "no salt" time of year. A person can find beaters to drive in that crap and try to save the primary vehicles. That's what we are hoping to do with the gifted Jeep I'm working onso my wife doesn't have to drive her '06 Yukon so much.

We've never owned a Dodge truck, but just about everyone in my wife's family are die hard about them. I think most good vehicles are due to the owner not necessarily the manufacturer.

DAC

Seen this dodge yesterday. Thought, now there’s a great 4x4. I always like the old sorta beat up 4x4, with the narrow tires, long box, no extra cab and look like a real 4x4. This dodge I seen yesterday reminded me of the old trucks, but this one was just a little newer version. It was a 3/4 ton also.

Noel

Attachments

• 67C9267D-1295-4DB4-990C-0D306A99759E.jpeg
    67C9267D-1295-4DB4-990C-0D306A99759E.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 11
Mine has the 4 banger too but the plain jane 4 door automatic. It is still under 200,000 but sure likes timing belts. Had one break under 100,000. I put a new one in along with components at about 160,000 and that belt was looking pretty worn. Lots of other little issues too but still runs and drives good. The darn center vents in the dash quit working so no air comes out with the heat or a/c. Never tried to tear into that one yet! Rust on mine is surface rust since the paint job is bad.

DAC
I meant a 2.2, and I have been through 2 timing belts. First one I changed along with the water pump as I was in there. Second one was by a shop, the timing belt idler had ate its self and I wasn't sure what all the racket was. I should have changed the idler the first time.

Seen this dodge yesterday. Thought, now there’s a great 4x4. I always like the old sorta beat up 4x4, with the narrow tires, long box, no extra cab and look like a real 4x4. This dodge I seen yesterday reminded me of the old trucks, but this one was just a little newer version. It was a 3/4 ton also.

Noel
I'm the same way. I love old school,no none sense 4x4 work pickups.
Thats one of the reasons that I took to this Ram.
It reminds me a lot of the 70s F250 4x4s that I great up around and with on the farm.
It is a little more comfortable than they are but under the skin it is a stout no none sense,get the work done truck.

I meant a 2.2, and I have been through 2 timing belts. First one I changed along with the water pump as I was in there. Second one was by a shop, the timing belt idler had ate its self and I wasn't sure what all the racket was. I should have changed the idler the first time.
Yeah I knew what you meant---LOL! 2 timing belts in mine too. Daughter paid for the second one as I was teaching her about maintenance costs! That one was the whole shebang, water pump, idler and the outer belts.

DAC

Good thing is, was pretty easy, and the parts were cheep. I am at 312,000 and thinking to teach my Grandson how to drive a stick with it. After that I may have him help me fix the issues and give it to him.

I replaced the radiator,water pump and clutch fan on the old Green Machine.
Its back up and going if needed but hopefully I can keep it off the road this winter so I can keep it in the garage to go thru it and give it some much needed TLC and lots of parts.
It is hard for me to leave this old truck at home too much though because I really enjoy running it down the road.
But I'm gonna to try to leave it alone and drive the other truck this winter...mostly lol.

I replaced the radiator,water pump and clutch fan on the old Green Machine.
Its back up and going if needed but hopefully I can keep it off the road this winter so I can keep it in the garage to go thru it and give it some much needed TLC and lots of parts.
It is hard for me to leave this old truck at home too much though because I really enjoy running it down the road.
But I'm gonna to try to leave it alone and drive the other truck this winter...mostly lol.
If you enjoy it, drive it then! I know the feeling!

DAC

Back