Lincwelder AC180K

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Here's my old round top Lincoln. Haven't used it in 6-7years. Since I have 220 in the shop, I ran a wire for the outlet next to the garage door and set things up. Made some hangers for the leads. They are about 25 foot long and HEAVY DUTY! Must be 0 wire or bigger, it was given to me years ago.
DSCN4126.JPG DSCN4127.JPG

I can reach nearly to the center of the canopy where it sits right now. Have about 6' or so of plug in cord, so I know I can reach to the center out there.
DSCN4128.JPG

Got out a 6011 1/8" rod and found a piece of scrap to test it out. Still welds! :thumbs:
DSCN4129.JPG

The #'s are off the top to tell what setting your on, so I just crank it up or down as needed. But it's working again!

Does that one even have a fan. I think the manual recommends blowing the dust off the coils and allowing space for ventilation. Those old welders had minimal moving parts and were made to just work. Don

I'll suggest pulling the back cover off and blowing it all out with air and cleaning and oiling the fan motor. In your part of the country mud daubers love places like that to build nests.
Mike
Does that one even have a fan. I think the manual recommends blowing the dust off the coils and allowing space for ventilation. Those old welders had minimal moving parts and were made to just work. Don
I haven't a clue! I had the back off when I put the new leads in, but I've slept many times since then! But I have never remembered a fan running! It just hummmmmmmms!

Last edited:
I'd bet there is no fan. Dad's old Craftsman welder at his place has a fan, but now ya gotta whack the welder to get the fan to turn. No more than it's ever used, a lack of fan is no problem. I used it the first time in years a few weeks ago welding on my mower, and it took maybe one minute or so welding time. These old welders had big copper windings and can last and last!

Very nice old Lincoln welder. They were made to last. The link below is to a thread on weldingweb.com were a guy restored an almost identical one. From the pictures on that it doesn’t appear to have a fan.

My 1954 Lincoln AC180K rehab

jhn9840
John
That helps me see what is supposed to be across the top (amp settings). Thanks!

I'll probably pull the back off here soon. I'm just glad it still works, been using the mig for some time.

As I stated in sawdust's post about his 225, I have no plans to restore this old bear. My Dad bought it in 1969 I think. He died in June, 1970 and was in the process of building a pipe frame garage with it. My middle brother took it home with him and had it until he passed in 1976. I've had it since then. Kind of a family heirloom and I think of them both when I use it. Repainting it might take that away.

As I stated in sawdust's post about his 225, I have no plans to restore this old bear. My Dad bought it in 1969 I think. He died in June, 1970 and was in the process of building a pipe frame garage with it. My middle brother took it home with him and had it until he passed in 1976. I've had it since then. Kind of a family heirloom and I think of them both when I use it. Repainting it might take that away.

Definitely something from family shoud remain original. Things like that speak of the past when left alone.

Back