Load handler for utility trailer

jason silliker

Jason Emerald P.E.I. Canada
Made up this version of a load handler for my 5 x 10 utility trailer. Took the gears out of a cheap Princess Auto winch fitted it to the 1 inch shaft giving it a 3 to 1 ratio making it a little easier. One section of the Habisat belt (1/8” conveyor belt) fastened to the trailer floor the other one rolls on top of it and the load can be slowly unloaded just using a ratchet or drill. Their version claims to be able to handle 2000-3000 pounds. Once I get a load in it, I’ll post it as well. Should be good for topsoil, mulch gravel, etc. I hope to be able to back up to my modified hay escalator turned into a wood conveyor, and basically slowly winch the wood on to the conveyor, which will basically almost lay on the ground and into my wood room window, which is about a foot above ground. I have a split entry which has a 4 foot foundation sunk in the ground. Their version uses a 2 foot handle, which gives you the mechanical advantage. I also put a nut on each side of the shaft to be able to use a socket and extend it ratchet. If for some reason I can’t use the winch. I have plenty of half inch ratchets so I may extend one like a breaker bar so you can pretty much just stand there and unload it whatever speed you like.

Attachments

• IMG_7155.jpeg
    IMG_7155.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7169.jpeg
    IMG_7169.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7168.jpeg
    IMG_7168.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7157.jpeg
    IMG_7157.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Nice invention, Jason! Looks like it will be very easy to use. Quite a few years ago I bought one of those HF hand crank pickup unloaders. I had to mount it upside down to fit the '72 GMC tailgate right. Made for new trucks. It worked great with gravel and dirt along with miscellaneous stuff. One time on a gravel dump I mounted it the "right" way and broke it---LOL! Been meaning to fabricate the broken bracket from steel but never got to it yet.

DAC

Back