Local Car Show Over The Weekend

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
We have a little country store that hosts a few events every year. Last week was a big hit for the older classics.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.jpeg
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0302.jpeg
    IMG_0302.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0307.jpeg
    IMG_0307.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 22
And only one old car with wide whitewalls. Those are something that I don't remember seeing much of back in the thirties. :oops:
Here’s an interesting article about the history of whitewall tires.

He went to get new tires and they never had the wide white walls anymore and my dad didn’t like it.

I had a neighbor who must have felt the same way as he put a set of those aftermarket wide whitewalls on his tires. They looked good at first but the the edges started to wrinkle and then they started looking really bad. I know he drove with them that way for a while but I can't remember if he took them off.
I think skinny white walls came into fashion about the same time as skinny ties.

I'm a blackwall guy but whitewalls have their place. I don't care for raised white lettering either. There seems to be a white layer under the black walls on tires nowadays anyway. A lot of guys take grinders to tire sidewalls to make their own wide whites. Sounds pretty crude to me.

Thanks for the Coker article, Jim. It didn't say anything about the brief craze of "Redline" and "Blueline" tires. I think Coker produces them also.

DAC

Was wondering about red wall tires. Never heard of blue.
Yes Doug. If you look at some raised white letter tires, you can see a difference in the black around the raised white letters and the rest of the tire.

Noel

Forgot about the Gold Lines! I did have the very popular Goodrich radial T/A's with the white letters exposed, back in the late '70s. Something about those smaller white letters looked good!
View attachment 81081

DAC
You know Doug I had a 71 gto that very same color combination right down to the vinyl top , with either Anson or Feldon wheels on it too. Even side pipes for a bit. Gotta find that picture sometime. Even have one that has my wife across the hood (clothes on of course ;) ). What I was thinking then...!

Last edited:
Those tires are the most popular tire on antique cars. My sons Rambler has them. And a 1968 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hard top 383 manual 4speed car that’s at my sons place for clutch replacement has those tires.

Noel
The popularity was more than a good looking tire. They rode real nice and handled great, Noel. I don't know if the current production T/A's are as good as back then. I would like to think better.

You know Doug I had a 71 gto that very same color combination right down to the vinyl top , with either Anson or Feldon wheels on it too. Even side pipes for a bit. Gotta find that picture sometime. Even have one that has my wife across the hood (clothes on of course ;) ). What I was thinking then...!
Better find the pic now that you posted that Bill---LOL! I think the slots on our Monte Carlo were Westerns. Can't remember for sure. That was a good looking color combo. We got hitched in that car.

Wedding Monte Carlo.jpg

DAC

Back