Log splitter refurb

Ryan313

Tractorologist
I acquired this homemade splitter 4-5 years ago with no engine or pump. I had a Kohler command 11 from an air compressor with a bad pump. I then got the biggest pump that I thought I could effectively run, which I believe wound up being a 13 or 16 GPM pump. It works great, and the best improvement was the addition of a table by the wedge, which cuts the bending over by a huge amount.

The engine has an automatic decompression release, which works about half of the time. Because of the broken decomp, the starter does not have enough torque to spin it when it catches; also, any hesitation when pulling the rope winds up ripping your shoulder pretty good. I picked up 3 k301 engines from a guy a couple months ago and plan to put one on the splitter. I know I could fix the decomp, but I have other reasons also. One reason is the command is VERY loud! I don’t know why it is so loud, but it is defining; I usually use ear plugs and muffs. The other reason is so I can mount a power king short hood, grill, and dash for some protection from the weather, along with some power king fenders for looks. Other than the engine swap, I have a couple other ideas.

My other plans for the splitter, is to mount an auto return spool valve. Also, I want to make a better table. The table that is on it now I installed very hastily while I was in the middle of splitting one afternoon.

Is anybody has any suggestions, I will be glad to hear them! The only picture I have now is one I took when my neighbor was running my terramite helping me with bigger pieces.

Attachments

• B0D80095-FE89-4215-87CA-C511057EA974.jpeg
    B0D80095-FE89-4215-87CA-C511057EA974.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 32
I will look into a different pump!

I think I posted this thread a bit prematurely. Anyway, I am finally getting around to it. I picked up 3 k301 Kohlers a couple months ago and brought the one with the best looking cylinder into the shop. I installed a new carb, and spun it over to check spark. Sadly, no spark. I ran through the steps of cleaning the terminal and checking the points with no success. I swapped the other two coils and condensers from the other engines on, still no luck. I ordered an ignition kit with coil, plug, wire, points, and condenser. Even after installing all of this I still have no spark. Does the stator have anything do with spark? I thought it was only for charging, but I am second guessing myself now. How about the rectifier? Maybe that is my issue?

So as all of your have surely experienced, this project kept getting put off. My buddy has the splitter now, and I got a phone call that it broke. He said he was running it for an hour or so, then he heard a loud pop, and lots of white smoke cane out of the exhaust. Now, it is locked up and won’t turn either way. I’m not sure what happened, I am away for the weekend and will have to see what happened when I get back. He has used it many times at his house, and helping me at my house so he knows how to use it and I don’t think he had it overreved so I’m not sure.

I am not sure which engine is the one with a lot of failures. I believe the automatic compression release on the engine was already broken though. I am considering just sticking a predator on it since I need it going again as quick as possible.

So I tore in and found the issue! After I got the engine off and on the bench, I took the stack off. Once it was off, I looked into the exhaust port and saw no valve stem! Once I saw that, I knew the direction this was headed. After removing the tins and the valve cover, I saw the rocker for the intake valve was broken.
525B0286-CF1F-4F94-8600-142E72D83893.jpeg

5 head bolts later, I got to see the carnage!
39EDDFCA-5D56-4B5F-9ACB-1CC9179BF32E.jpeg

CC82FFFB-F559-43F2-800C-752E2012DEC2.jpeg

I took the rear cover off and popped the connecting rod bolts off, the piston now lives on the shelf in my office with the broken rod from the terramite, and a piston that blew the skirt off out of a Polaris xplorer.

I looked at the cam, the automatic compression release is broken, and made some decent marks in the case. I thought I took a picture, but it’s not in the gallery.

I am stumped as to why the exhaust valve broke, and the rocker for the intake valve. Does anybody have any ideas as to what went on inside this engine??

More than likely when the rocker broke in half, part of the broken rocker got above the exhaust rocker and held the exhaust valve open. Then the piston broke off the extended exhaust valve. Once the piston hit the valve, it dislodged the broken rocker from above the exhaust rocker, so you couldn't see why it happened. You may find a mark on the valve cover above the exhaust valve where the broken rocker got hung up.

More than likely when the rocker broke in half, part of the broken rocker got above the exhaust rocker and held the exhaust valve open. Then the piston broke off the extended exhaust valve. Once the piston hit the valve, it dislodged the broken rocker from above the exhaust rocker, so you couldn't see why it happened. You may find a mark on the valve cover above the exhaust valve where the broken rocker got hung up.

That is a great theory, it is impossible to know, but I would say that was probably it.

The swap went well! It can never be bolted right up though. The old engine was had the piston vertical, this one is diagonal and the valve cover hit the tire. You can see here how far off the pump was.
6475A3C7-5E5D-45A3-A7BA-B90ABE2E490D.jpeg

I cut the bracket off to be rewelded, and changed my plumbing around. I don’t remember why I had so many fittings before, I but do remember the pump was sucking so much it caused the tubing to collapse, which is why I have only enough to join the two pieces together.
7698F977-1A2D-4B39-8EBB-6BB4CF637106.jpeg

Overall everything went well! I also picked up a couple battery wires to hook up the electric start. This engine is way quieter than the Kohler, and may move the cylinder faster. I think I likely ran the Kohler at lower rpm since it was so loud, I look forward to splitting some wood this weekend.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back