Looking for a Garden Tractor

Judd

I'm in the market for a Garden Tractor.

I live in southeastern Arizona and while I have some wild prarie grass on my property (4.5 acre lot) the grass is patchy and the property is littered with mesquite trees. So, while I have some acreage I don't need a massive cutting deck. I'll be clearing out a lot of the mesquite over the next few years and I see myself using it to push or haul brush, mulch, gravel or water tank in a trailer or front end attachment. I could also see use for a cultivator and a box grader.

The impression that I get is that the standard k46 transmission probably won't be up to snuff, but on the other hand I cant justify throwing over 10k at subcompact tractor and then over a thousand bucks for each attachment.

I've been looking at the John Deer 380 series with the 48 inch deck. I don't like the price but it looks capable. I'm not sure I trust the Husqvarna TS heavy duty series...is there a middle ground between these or do I need to go bigger than the JD 380?

If you want a John Deere I 'd look at old heavier duty models like a 318 or a 425 excellent Garden Tractors built to do everything your wanting to do, also look at the Simplicity Sovereign series excellent HD GT's capable of handling a front end loader

Last edited:
If you want a John Deere I 'd look at old heavier duty models like a 318 or a 425 excellent Garden Tractors built to do everything your wanting to do, also look at the Simplicity Sovereign series excellent HD GT's capable of handling a front end

I agree with this. Unless you want to spend 6000 plus on a new deere model then you aren't going to get a machine that will handle the work.

There is a huge thread here about how the Husqvarna tractors are not up to more than grass duty. Even their "garden tractors".

My x570 has skidded logs, pulled wagon loads of gravel and rocks, cut 4 acres every season for the last 3 years, and been used to skid logs around. It's been a pretty tough unit so far.

A 500 to 1500 dollar deere or cub from the 70s or even 80s will handle all this with ease if you are handy and can make repairs as needed

Back