Looking for help

Ddive07

I'm new to tractors, but I am looking for some insight. I'm looking to move to the NW in the next year or two, and will be buying property to build on. I need to narrow my list of equipment I will need down, and I'm looking for a tractor that is in the 60hp+ range. I need: front loader, 4wd, cab, and I really want/need a front pto for a front driven snowblower. (I know plenty of people will just drive their tractor backwards with the blower, but I do not want to do that) I will also need a tractor that is good for added implements like backhoe, post hole digger, grader/blade, etc. Can anyone help me in what tractor makes/models to look at? I would greatly appreciate any help as I am pretty unfamiliar with what to look for or look out for when buying a mid-size tractor.

Many thanks

I recommend sticking with the major brands.
Massey
John Deere
Kubota
Case/Farmall/New Holland
Most tractors use a front mounted hitch system for front implements. Blower, blade, broom, etc. It makes switching implements easy, but makes switching from the loader to those a pain. Depending on your conditions, the loader is a viable snow removal option also. If a buy a loader that is SSQA (skid steer style detach) you also have the option of forks and another snow tool, a snow pusher.
Another option vs the front mounted blower is a rear pull snowblower. Rear mounted, but drive forward to operate. Works great in some situations, not so great in others. Hilly terrain is one place they don’t work so well.
Average temps and snowfall amounts would help us make recommendations.

Cat385B,
Thank you for the reply. I was wondering about the bucket as a snow removal tool, but I imagine it would take a considerable amount of time to remove a large amount of snow on a driveway. I'm planning on needing to remove snow from an unpaved driveway/road, which could be a mile long +/- and will probably be somewhat hill ish. Average snowfall in the area is 40" and temps below freezing for 3-4 months. Being that I will be responsible for maintaining my road, up until the improved road, I imagine the pushed snow blower is the best option, but I could be wrong.

Several manufacturers make a snowblower that you use while going backwards.
They aren't for stiff necks, but they work well and you can have the loader on at the same time.

I'm definitely looking for a tractor with a front pto. I'm just wondering what models typically have a front pto, and/or what models are best suited for this application. I can't imagine trying to push snow, or use the loader would be a viable option for an unimproved hilly road; I think being able to blow the snow off into the woods would be the best option. Unless there is someone out there in a similar situation who has a better method

What you are looking for is not available in 60 hp. More like 100hp before you start getting front mounted pto and boys it is expensive!
You will most likely find something that is hydraulic driven in the 60 hp range. They do work good but are a pain mounting on a farm tractor!

The Scandinavians are very good at doing this and use them all the time, here in the US market it is not nearly as popular so finding something may be tricky and pricey.
Zuidberg - Frontline Systems, tracks and transmissions
These folks have kits for 60 hp tractors in all major brands check them out.

Last edited:
Back