Looking for input, has anyone ever used car/truck tires on a large frame simplicity. I want to raise my Allis-Grader.

Michiganmobileman

Hello all.
I am wanting to do some modifications to my grader over the winter. Although I still think it looks cool I have decided that the Ag tires are too aggressive for use on gravel. If the tires start spinning I have about two milliseconds to push the clutch in before I'm stuck. I also want to get the tractor higher off the ground by using larger tires on the rear and front. I want to switch to a taller (26") turf tire or possibly look at using truck or auto wheels and a non aggressive mud or snow tire in a similar height. Then modify the front height to match rear and use a taller tire by welding on new larger axles.

The grader is mostly a Allis 712 with a 3 speed tranny and a hi low. I realize I will have to pay attention to rim setback and tire clearances. Can raise the seat pans and increase the length between the rear axles if needed. Not concerned with speed gain from the larger tires. If I put in in low first gear now I swear I could get off it while it's moving, run to the house and have a beer, then run back and get on before it's moved ten feet (of course that's only in theory, it wouldn't be safe, I'm too old to run that far).

So here are my questions:
Has anyone ever used auto rims/tires on a 5 x 4.5 garden tractor hub?
Has anyone ever used 26" turf tires on a similar Simplicity/Allis (clearance issues)?
Should I use a narrow tire or a wide one (pretty much only use on gravel)?

Of course like most of us I want to do this as inexpensively as possible. Any and all suggestions/comments are welcome.
Thanks!
GregFB_IMG_1538780113817.jpg

I put a pair of old 15" snows on a Bolens 1477.....but it came with 15" wheels. You would have to measure your bolt pattern and get 15s to match. By the looks of your picture, it would be a tight fit on the fenders.
I agree. Think that fender clearance is going to be an issue. What size tires are you running now.?

I considered doing 15" truck tires on my mtd 990 with factory 15" wheels. After researching many felt the tires were too hard with very little flexing for traction. Like mentioned I think I'm going the ATV route.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree but if turfs make you happy then go for it.
???:thumbs:???

Only thing I could suggest is more weight on the rear. Wheel weights on all 4 drive tires would help. Enough weight and it won't spin.

If you can find a set of 25” UTV or ATV tires (some guys buy a new rig and change the tires ASAP) and either load the tires or put weights in them, it would be a big help. Even if it’s usually gravel, turfs will suck the first time you get into mud.

If you want to play, Dodge caravan tires are (I believe) the right hole pattern. Donuts are a dime a dozen. Let the air down to about 10#. Should be a cheap trial

You could also try skid steer tires, the ribs are usually wider and not so aggressive.

you cant really get much cheaper than used ATV tires, as MH mentioned plenty of people swap out the tires on new quads or sidebysides so tires can be found cheap... I first tried them about 6 years ago with a $40 pair of Duro Eagles and the differance over AGs is nothing short of amazing, even without alot of extra ballast they are very nearly as effective as chains in the winter, I use wheel weights but Ive never loaded the ATVs... havent needed to. I have over 500 yds of gravel driveway and can push a 54" blade thru 10" snow, or drag two 3'x5' sections of harrows, pull a 10" plough... basically whatever I want to do the ATV tires will do it and I can drive the tractor anyplace a quad or sidebyside will go... its just just slower.

047.JPG032.jpg

Back