looking for some paint

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I am almost done putting my Kohler 14hp, K321 back together that originally came out of my NH S14 tractor. I have all of the easily removeable parts (engine tin, coil bracket, breather, air filter housing, etc) sandblasted and primered. I have painted the coil bracket, flywheel and flywheel screen in an "appliance" black. I like the "appliance" paints because they are pretty tough, have some sort of ceramic within them.
It was originally a real dark, blue /blue gray, reminds me of an old military dark blue. The tractor itself is almost an olive drab green, although it does have more gloss (albeit not much after all the years) than military olive drab. Id like to find a spray bomb or 2 in either this blue, or a glossier olive drab. Being an engine, I'd like to find it in a heat tolerant version. Don't see anything in the typical Dupli Color, Plastikote or even Rustoleum engine paints.
In case I can't find either color I'd like, I have some "Ford Dark Blue" coming from the local parts store. About as close of a color,as I think I have come across, to what the engine used to be. I don't want a "flat" paint, because the glossier paints seem to shed dirt and grease better. anybody know of any other brands of engine paint that comes in a spray bomb, and comes in either of these colors?

Last edited:
NAPA has a large selection of HIGH heat paints. For 15 years all my engines were painted gm blue because I got half a case of gm blue for cheap:thumbs:

I looked at their site, all of their high heat paint is dupli color brand. Nothing different from what any other parts store has. Being as how they sell regular automotive paint I was expecting more. I did paint up one K301 in a Cub cadet with valspar appliance black, so far so good. I think dupli color is the company who has ceramic in their paints. I don't see much Plasti kote engine paint around this area any more.

of all the small engines I have redone and painted I never used high heat paint, some where regular gloss rustoleum or krylon and they have held up with no issues
In the past I have painted them and coated the fins and all and laid several coats on an engine, I haven't experienced any issues in doing this, but I see a few people who suggest leaving all of the fins bare as it supposedly helps with heat dissipation by being bare? If all I'm doing is the crankcase and tin then yeah// I think that regular enamel would probably suffice.

Back