Love those old cast iron Briggs

chieffan

Tractorologist
I have an old 10 hp non my wood spliter. Came off a grain loading augur years ago. It has sat since about later part of February of this year. Had to clean the mouse nest out first of course. Had the settling bowl full from the last use and bit in the tank but fi8lled the tank with fresh fuel as it will be used a later one. Turned the gas on, closed the choke, wrapped the rope and gave it a pull - fired and ran first pull. Almost scared me it started so quick. Ran it a while to warm it up good and blow the rest of the crap out of the cooling fins. Shut the fuel off and let it run down, then killed it. Drained the oil and will put fresh in before it is used next time, probably tomorrow. Put the pull rope around the oil jug handle in the shop so I don't forget. Yes, I am going to say it. Ethanol gas with Sta-Bil.

I have one of those engines in the garage. Has a starter/generator on it Still sittin there. Never found a use for it yet. Only reason I bought this engine was for the starter/generator. Never had one before. I liked the way it sounded when starting. Had to put a regulator on it at the time. Works fine. But still sittin on the bench.

Noel

I never got a chance to do much with them back when I started messing with small engines (the cast iron ones were still in production then) though I did have a ss15 with the 320000 series Briggs on it. It's been just lately that I have been able to get my hands on a few. I wish I could have been able to do so several years ago.

In thisd area they are fairly common. Most are on the smaller/shorter load augurs. Neighbor has one been sitting for a few years. Might try and by it when I see her next time. Most of these are the rope pull start as no one want to maintain another batter for a few hours use a year. They never think of uswing their lawn mower battery for those few days.

Back