Making a service jet for Tecumseh

MH81

Tractorologist
Staff member
Administrator
If you've ever tried to resurect a Tecumseh engine, you know you're probably going to have to tear into that carb. And you hope someone has been in it before.
Most of the carbs had the fuel inlet hole to the pickup tube on the main jet drilled AFTER installation. Meaning, if you turn the nut on the bottom, it misalligns the holes and no fuel. Almost impossible to get back together. You need a service jet.
2009-06-15_192207_BOWL_NUT_FIXED_JET.jpg
Service jets have a ring cut around the pickup area instead of threads, allowing fuel to go around an no holes to allign. That's the difference.

Here is the poor man's service jet.
This is what you take out of the carb.
Note the threads
IMG_20180724_210151573.jpg
Chuck in drill, like so.
IMG_20180724_210701705.jpg
Run file in this area while drill is spinning.
IMG_20180724_210459857.jpg
Continue until you see no signs of threads. Then go just a little more.
IMG_20180724_211205203.jpg
TaDa! Service jet

Last edited:
I thought it was just the Walbros from the 70s and early 80s as used on the cast iron Tec's, that you had to worry about using the "service jet" on.

I thought it was just the Walbros from the 70s and early 80s as used on the cast iron Tec's, that you had to worry about using the "service jet" on.
This was an aluminum block from a snow blower. Still a Teccy, but not cast iron.
I've seen them on push mowers, rototillers, riding mowers, garden tractors, etc.

You're probably right on the walbro. Never noticed if it was only them or Tecumseh carbs too.

Back